1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Module Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tanman2324, Jul 1, 2014.

1. tanman2324

tanman2324 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just recently bought a 2007 Prius and cannot wait to pick it up within the next few days! The dealer said one of the modules was bad and when I test drove it about a week ago the battery bars were all the way down and acceleration was awful. I ordered a new module and it came in the mail. I'm replacing the module myself and know how to do it, my only question is that once the module is replaced does the battery need balanced/conditioned? If so, around how much does it cost and who can do it? Also, the dealership is 66 miles away from my house, is the Prius ok to drive all the way back on a bad module? I would like to replace it their before driving it, but I also don't want to drive it unbalanced. Someone please help soon! I may get it tomorrow and really need to know, thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow what a first post. are you up for this challenge? You are making this module swap sound like a spark plug change, it's much more complicated.

1. It's high voltage.
    2. You need to balance the pack during the swap/install process, not after you're done with the swap.

I think you should really read more into what you are about to attempt, seems like you've watched a few youtube videos and it's not giving you the complete picture.

3. tanman2324

tanman2324 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok thank you. So I'm better off just driving it back and taking it somewhere?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have triple A? Plus members get a 100 mile tow.

How do you know the car only has a bad battery? Going by the dealers word? My experience with dealers, they only tell you part of the problem.

How many miles on the car? You should have the dtc codes read on the car to confirm only the battery is bad

There is a really long thread called "
    Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement
    ". Lots of information on there and many professionals monitor and assist on that thread. You can get all the info you need from that thread.

I probably would not drive it 66 miles, unless you know for sure it's the battery. If you drive back and can maintain highway speeds, you might be ok. Highway speeds will not use the battery much

#4 JC91006, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    tanman2324 likes this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be sure to get a printout of the error codes. Also a printout of the vblock voltages screen.

You can risk driving it, but be prepared to pull over and get a tow if needed. You could rent a truck and tow dolly otherwise.

Replacing one module is a good start. Just be prepared to do it more than once.

tanman2324 likes this.
  6. tanman2324

tanman2324 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok thank you!! We called a local Toyota dealership and they said just be careful driving it back and they can replace the module and balance it for a little over $100

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This information cannot be correct from the dealership you called. They most likely didn't understand what you were asking. Dealers normally don't replace modules and the one dealer that I've heard that did this service charged $895.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't like where this is going...

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most likely the dealership thought you asked about the labor to replace the 12v battery, which sounds like a little over $100

10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That cannot be correct.
    You need to be sure to clarify with them that you are talking about the hybrid battery.
    Most dealers don't have the equipment or experience to do this job. And even if they did it would cost more than $100.

11. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So let me understand... You bought a car that the dealer said has a bad module, and when you test drove it, the acceleration sucked? And they say they are going to replace the module for $100? This sounds very strange to me.

First of all, as others have pointed out, simply replacing a module is not a great idea, at least in the long-term. It is more of a stop gap measure, as well as a recipe for having a battery failure in the not too distant future. Secondly, I was never aware of dealers replacing individual modules in a pack, let alone doing any kind of rebalancing. Reblancing is a long and tedious process that I doubt most Prius technicians would be familiar with.

I suggest taking the advice that others have offered. First and foremost, get more information, including a printout of the DTC codes. Did you get the car inspected by another Toyota dealer? Did you already pay for the car? Are you contractually committed to buying it? Do they have the service records from the previous owner(s)?

Key points to assess
    1. Are we really talking about an individual module replacement (with rebalancing) in the HV battery pack, or are we talking about the 12v battery?
    2. If it is indeed a module replacement with rebalancing, how is the labor charge only $100, and how exactly do they plan on "rebalancing" the modules? Again, this is neither a quick nor easy process.
    3. Do you have the requisite information to know whether you getting a good deal on this car?
    4. At this point, can you back out of the deal?
    Like others, I see multiple red flags here. Please fill us in with more information as it becomes available.

Thanks, good luck, and welcome to Prius Chat!

12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I should have mentioned that I'd be happy to chat briefly via phone if things start getting too complex.
    I'm very interested to hear more about a dealer selling a known-bad pack to a customer rather than sending it to auction.

13. tanman2324

tanman2324 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer I'm buying from isn't a Toyota dealer. I bought it for $7,300 and am getting it tomorrow. I have the module sitting right here for the HV Battery Pack. The Toyota dealership about 15 minutes away from where I live said that replacing the module and balancing the battery would be a little over $100. Im just relaying what they said. I'll check the codes tomorrow on the car when I get it. It's an hour and a half away and last time I was there was over a week ago so it's not like I can just go one day and see for myself what the codes are, it has to be planned around my work schedule. I am for sure getting it tomorrow and I'll check it myself.

14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have a dealer that will remove a hybrid battery module, replace a hybrid battery module, and balance the hybrid battery pack for only $100, I will gladly send my customers there. To do the job right takes more than $100 worth of my time.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles on the car? $7300 sounds like a lot for a broken car. I have a friend selling a 2007 with 180k miles on it, fully functional at $6000

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll join in this game. Lol
    I've got a white 2001 with only 100k on it and a newly replaced hybrid battery and 3 year hybrid battery warranty for $3,400.
    Seriously though, we're here to support you. Keep us up to date.

17. tanman2324

tanman2324 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has 105,000 miles. Those sound great!!! But I cant go to California or Wisconsin haha

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

19. tanman2324

tanman2324 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the guy was really rude with us over the phone today and we really dont want to deal with the battery but we found another one just a little farther away that we might go get tomorrow. Hopefully nothings wrong with it. Thank you guys so much for helping out, I really do appreciate it. I'll let ya know what happens!

20. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sending positive thought your way.