1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery replaced with 6 hours warranty left

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cdh, Jun 8, 2014.

1. cdh

cdh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a Prius fan! We have a 2006 and a 2012. My wife came home the other night said a bunch of lights came up on the dash. I did a quick check (was thinking inverter, etc.) Went to autozone the next morning and had them read the code and it came out as battery failure. The car had 99600 miles on it. Drove home and decided I'd "reset the computer" by disconnecting the 12v battery (in my ignorance, I was thinking about my annual inspection appointment later that morning and didn't want any warning lights showing). After disconnecting the battery, checked the posts again, and was reminded about the 8/100K battery warranty. We'll, I was right at the cusp on both counts. I quickly reconnected the batttery, but the lights had been cleared. I went to my inspection appointment but while waiting they informed me that the computer had been "cleared" and I need to come back after it goes through its diagnostics (so much for thinking I'm smart). I immediately went to the Toyota dealer and told them about the lights, the code at Autozone, and my disconnecting the battery. I paid them $60 to scan the computer but they couldn't see the code, though they could tell the computer had been reset. They told me to drive it, not just putting miles on it but doing various combinations of acceleration, deceleration, etc. I spent the afternoon doing this. I was giving up and in the last mile coming home, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree again. Drove to the Toyota dealer. They scanned it and it came up with a couple of codes indicating a bad cell. He told me that I'm lucky, that this was the last day of the warranty, and if I came after they closed, in 6 hours, I would have been out of luck and subject to a $4000 replacement.

I felt like I had just won the lottery despite my foolish trickery.

Now I was planning on selling the 06, but since I have a new battery, seems it would be better to keep it. Also, this has somewhat shaken my love for the Prius and hybrids in general. If one has to worry about battery failure at 100K miles, it defeats a primary advantage of the Prius, the expense of fuel. The cost of the battery replacement negates any fuel savings. I'm also wondering about selling my 2012 before the battery warranty expires.

Something for me to think about for the future. Any thoughts?

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, a new battery for a Prius costs about as much as a new transmission for a regular car, so pick your poison, a new battery or a new tranny(and less gas mileage).

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dump 'em while the sun's still shining! pick up a couple nice malibu's.;)

spookyfudge likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow congrats on the lottery win

SM-N900P ?

5. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congratulations on your amazing luck right there. Methinks the battery probably failed due to your climatic location - do you live in a hot area where temperatures really climb to high extremes? Baring that, perhaps you do a lot of extended hill climbing? Of course, there's the rare chance you were just plain unfortunate that the battery didn't last beyond 100,000 miles.
    Still, your faithful Prius did choose a nice time to toast it's battery - and get a new one for free in the process.

I'd stick with that car if I were you - methinks it genuinely loves YOU :p

iPad ? HD

6. cdh

cdh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I will keep it. The battery is newer than my 2012 model. Here in North Carolina its not too hot nor cold, and its a flat commute (so just one of those things, one of those timely things).

I actually like the ergonomics and Nav of my 2006 more than the 2012. If I decide to sell, it may be the 2012 that gets axed.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG unbelievable great bed time story...YIKES though the 2006 are dropping like flies it seems. As your post illustrates, from here on, many of the 2006 batt fails will be off warranty, whereas to this point, many have been on warranty. I am considering a survey to get to the bottom of model year trends, but I got my eye on 2006MY unfort.