Discussion in 'The File Library' started by vertex, Oct 21, 2010.
I tried again attaching the file for my battery teardown. This is a work in progress.
I am currently working on reverse-engineering the Battery ECU, so I will likely be able to contribute some detailed info on it at some point.
I started to draw the schematic. However, there are some custom parts I couldn't figure out. If it is of interest, I can upload it, but it is very sketchy.
Interesting. Can I ask why you are tearing it down? Is it from your 2006 Prius? Anything wrong with it?
Here's a page you can add, I've annotated the connections on the Battery ECU:
I picked up the battery nearly 2 years ago for $300, thinking that I would add it in parallel with the existing battery. I was planning on buying 2 more, so I would have 4x the capacity for EV mode. I started to revese engineer the ECU to see if there is an easy way to modify it so that the SOC range can be increased, so more of the battery capacity is available for EV mode. I am also working a simple charger. Unfortunately for these projects, I work full time, and much of my spare time lately has been occupied with other things. I asked at my place of work to get a 4 day schedule, which would free up some time to work on these projects, but so far, they are not going for it. Most of my spare time lately has been soaked up by my ScanCAn project, which I hope to wrap up soon.
Ok, so I'll bite; what's "ScanCan"?
see The MyCANScan Project
with my modifications
I started to revese engineer the ECU to see if there is an easy way to modify it so that the SOC range can be increased, so more of the battery capacity is available for EV mode.
What you are trying to accomplish is already a finish product made by Hybrid Interfaces called "BMS+".
It is a remarkable piece of engineering, field tested and really works.
Here is a link to my Battery ECU teardown in case anyone is curious.
Nice job, pEEF.
Mrbirgh, I looked at the BMS system, and decided it was not what I wanted, particularly since souce code is not available. It also seemed pretty pricy, with $400 for the unit, and $200 for the display. Probably would have been a lot easier though. I ended up spending alot more $ and time then I originally thought. It has been a lot of fun though.
Separate names with a comma.