1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best mpg tire

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Caug1, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,
    What would be the best all season mpg tire?
    I dont care about comfort or road noise or any other reason, just the best mpgs.
    Thanks,
    C

2. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have Michelin Energy Saver tires on our Prius, now over 45,000 miles. I obtained an immediate 2-3 MPG over the factory Avid Yokohama tires even though they had 11,000 miles on them
    and were well broken in.

I have mine, 195x65x15 inflated to max sidewall pressure
    on all four of 44 PSI, Costco Nitrogen.

Another choice would be the Nokian entyre which should give
    a comparable increase in MPG and probably a longer tread life
    of maybe 75,000 miles or so.

alfon

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have used both the Michelin MXV4+ Energy, which is now the Primacy, and the Nokian WRG2. They are both good tires, and both produced as good or better mileage as the original crappy OEM tires. When it comes time for replacement, I will most likely buy the Nokian again.

Tom

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  5. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well lets see, Tire ramblings, hmmm. I am one of the few, as it looks, that got the GY Assurance Fuel Max as OE tires. I was fine with them to begin with, but now with 37K on them they have become noisy, and have some cuts in the 4/32" of tread left on them. I have rotated them at 5K intervals until this last time of 9K, (forgot!). Guess they have been good tires all in all, but I think they should have gone to their "rating", which is at least what I have gotten from any previous tire, on any vehicle. I'm not hard on tires, and especially not in a Prius. So.....I won't be replacing these with another GY Assurance set!
    Now, I'd like the Michelin Energy Saver A/S - these are the 195-65-15 tire. But due to Michelins continuous renewal of the $70. rebate have found it impossible to obtain these tires, always backordered. I know what's been said about the Nokian, (which locally will get you bewildered looks at a tire store, like what is that?), and the Continental ProContact EcoPlus, which they may know about locally, but no one "carries" it, only can order it. SO WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE YOU WHEN YOU HAVE TIRE PROBLEMS??? I can, and possibly will use Tire Rack to obtain one of these tires, I'm just concerned about the B.S. you have to go through when you have a problem with either of those tires!
    For a premium price, of course, I can get the Michelin Primacy, MXV4's, but are they an LRR tire......??? I don't commute, I rather travel, and probably a Michelin would be the best brand to have on the car, if you had problems........
    Anyone got any thoughts? I do want a quiet tire, and one which will both give the mpg I've come to rely on and the miles advertised.
    F8L? :D

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GreenClipper, i'm always a bit leary of recommending a specific tire due the exact problems you described above. There are always mixed reviews regarding tires. One person says their tires are lasting a long time and another says his are wearing out early. Ugg

If you are concerned about a tire wearing out before the warranty period then buying local may make getting reimbursed easier. Is there a Costco or Americas Tire store in your area? They are reputable stores that I trust. I wish more places carried the Nokian brand. I really liked my i3 tires and would recommend them more if they were easy to obtain.

The MXv4 is rated as LRR and it gets great reviews but I don't know how it compares to say the Energy Saver in terms of mpg and wear. My 17" MXM4 tire is very quiet despite being wider and lower in profile than my 15" dB Super E-Spec tires. I don't think you can't go wrong with Michelin.

I' ll see what usbseawolf2000 thinks about his Continental ProContacts.

1 person likes this.
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have just had fitted Hankook K425 kinergy eco 205/55/16 witch I believe appeared on the UK market in March 2011. Tyre tests in europe (Autoexpress.co.uk)with input from tirerack US put these (quote) well ahead of the pack in rolling resistance but let down slightly by wet braking, but ware is almost as good as Michelin energy savers. They are made in sizes to fit all gen2 Prius 15 and 16 inch, but I had the 205's fitted because they are much cheaper in the UK than the 195,s meaning I effectively get one tyre free. I do not know if these are available in the US as I have looked on tirerack and could not find them. When I have put a few miles on these tyres I will report back with my findings.

8. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have the Michelien Energy Saver. They are supurbly efficient. I love the handling and the low noise feature of these tires as well. However, according to Tire Rack ... they are not great in snow. But I have an AWD for snow ......

9. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thread subscribed to, due to how I hate my Proxes', and hoping the surviving two die an early death and I can replace them with whatever we come to a consensus to several pages from now.

10. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good one.

1 person likes this.
  11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just received notice that Hankook is coming out with a dedicate LRR tire, currently they don't market any LRR tires according to my source at Hankook. The tire will be named Enfren Eco. It should be coming out soon. Given Hankook's excellent reputation with their Optimo H727, I think this tire may be a hit.

This is old news for some but with reports of it being released soon I thought I'd mention it.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe this is the tyre Hankook are marketing in the UK as the Kinergy eco witch I had fitted a few days ago, it is specifically sold here as a LLR tyre. The product code is K425.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye. You may be right. I couldn't get an answer regarding if that is the case. I sure hope so. :)

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Marketing in different countries seems strange, in the UK we do not have the Kumho KR22 that I am sure would sell very well. The independent tests on the Hankook K425 put it close to the Michelin ES slightly less dry grip,the same wet grip, better comfort, very close on ware, and better LRR

15. palmer976

palmer976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am just about to get rid of my second set of Yokohama Avid S33D's. I have averaged 50MPGs for 131,000 miles (as of this afternoon) mostly highway. My first set lasted 70,000 and my second set should last that long. After about 40,000 I notice a significant noise increase, but no MPG drop off.

The tires have been pretty decent...but I am on this thread tonight looking for the best recommendation for replacement tires. So take it for what it is.

16. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Currently I am approaching 50,000 miles on Michelin Energy Saver Tires, 195x65x15, running max sidewall pressure of 44 PSI of Costco
    Nitrogen. MPG's have been a true 2-3 mpg improvement over the factory stock Yokoahama Avid that came with our car.

It looks like I will get at least 60,000 miles, or perhaps 70,000 miles out of the Michelin Energy Saver Tires.

I would take a good hard look at the Nokian Entyre which has alonger tread life and should return excellent MPG's comparable to the Michelin Energy Saver Tire.

alfon

17. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For a premium price, of course, I can get the Michelin Primacy, MXV4's, but are they an LRR tire......??? I don't commute, I rather travel, and probably a Michelin would be the best brand to have on the car, if you had problems........

I have Michelin Primacy LC. (not sure what that is in American)The Primacy range is definitely LRR . My LC's are rated 91V. I average 4.8l/100kms (49 mpg US)on a mixture of long haul high speed, hilly freeway and country dirt roads. I've driven 90,000kms since July 2010. The OEM Ecopias gave up after 38,000ks and I suffered two punctures. The Michies are a lillr over 1/2 worn. During my 45 years of driving I have never had punctures in Michies and regret it every time I buy another brand.