1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best oil & air filters?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Troy Heagy, May 12, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I don't know about Toyota's air filters, but their oil filters have been shown to be poor (ditto Honda, Chevrolet, Mopar, etc). What is the best for my new Prius? I'm leaning towards PureOne oil filter and AC Delco air filters..... shown to have 99.9 and 99.98 percent efficiency.

Unfortunately I cannot find the PureOne... just the 97% efficient classic. (Mobil 1 might be an okay substitute? Or Fram ultra guard.)

AC Delco air filter also cannot be found.
    (Wix or Purolator would be okay but
    I cannot find them either.)
    [​IMG]

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't seen any proof of oil filter failures from Toyota OEM. How many miles do you go on your OCI? If you go 5000, almost any filter in the market will not be an issue.

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota filters are some of the best you can buy for this car. You say GM makes bad filters but say ac delco makes good ones, I thought GM owns AC delco? This would be like a debate on changing your oil at 5k or 10k nobody really wins or looses. As long as your buying a name brand and not a knock off over the internet you should be fine.

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was told Toyota has some of the best oil filters, with a built in anti drain valve. After market K&N makes great oil filters

5. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have used the K&N in the past along with the Fram that trap 99% and also the Mobil 1 and Bosch depending on what available when I do my oil change with Mobil 1 oil.

6. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    An anti-drainback valve is nothing special. All spinon filters have that, even the cheap $3 ones (it's old tech). I've never owned a car that didn't have a drainback valve, either in the filter itself, or the engine.

This test using ISO standard specification shows how poorly OEM oil filters perform. The best filters Purolator, Mobil, Fram, Wix, Baldwin, et cetera have 98% or better efficiency at this size particle. The Toyota, Honda, etc filters are poor.
    [​IMG]

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no valve in a GenIII oil filter, it's just a bunch of rolled up pleats. It's in the cap.

Also, your attachment didn't work.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not all oil filters have the valve, who conducted this test?

9. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The top graph was performed by Amsoil using an ISO standard test. For the sake of completion, here are some more air & oil filter tests:
    OIL:
    Test 1: Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench | Oil Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy
    Test 2: http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/conclusions.html]Conclusions - Oil Filtration Comparisons From the Workbench
    Test 3: Amsoil EaO
    filters downto 7 micron (nominal)
    98.7% @ 15 microns
    99.8% @ 20 microns
    Purolator PureONE (best)
    filters downto 5 micron (nominal)
    99.2% @ 15 micron
    99.9% @ 20 micron
    Amsoil EAO vs PureONE - Topic

AIR:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This thread sounds like an endorsement (sales pitch) for Spamsoil products.

Toyota makes a fine oil, fuel, air, cabin filter line.

Never, never had any problems with them.

Spamsoil and K & N - thats' a different story.

DBCassidy

11. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I the only one to wonder why a filter manufacturer would pay a scientific lab for filter tests if they didn't get a report showing theirs was the best? This is why I have earned the title "Doubting Thomas".

And if the tests by commercial labs don't convince you, there is always the the filter cut open to show the innards. Then we assume that if it looks better it must filter better.

In the meantime, I have used name brand filters (even including the much maligned Fram) and have never had a problem in the 60 some years I have been changing oil in my cars. YMMV

12. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm an Amsoil guy since the first car I've ever own and did my first own oil change. The only other oil I tried on my dad's car was Royal Purple.

For anything filter, K&N or Fram.

13. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Please post some data showing Toyota oil filter's efficiency at 20 or 25 microns.

I'd like to see some proof before I put it (or Honda or other OEM) on my car. I've never seen any good numbers for any of them. Just poor ones.

dbcassidy: SPAM?!?!? Sometimes I don't understand how people think. I wouldn't touch Amsoil with a ten foot pole..... I think their products are good but overpriced. (Example: $22 for jug of Mobil 1 versus 35+ for five quarts of top Amsoil)

I will admit bias for PureONE and AC Delco simply because they rank on top or near-the-top on testing. Plus near-zero contamination in my oil analyses.

I wish I could find them for the Prius.

14. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Never mind. I thought OP called my post as spam. My mistake. Apologies.

SGH-T999 ?

15. nedear88

nedear88 My 1st Prius.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used aFe air filter (dry reuseable) and OEM oil filter, so far so good. The oem oil filter CAN last 10k miles on the oil change, I change the oil at 1st 5k miles and oil and filter when it reach another 5k miles. If I can find those 5 quarts jug mobil 1 extended ow-20 then I will change oil and filter at 10k interval, otherwise I use regular mobil 1 ow-20 and change it at 5k miles.

16. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Have you ever opened-up the can to see if the filter material has torn? After 10,000 miles it's not uncommon to find a small hole in the paper. More information:

PureOne: 4 micron nominal (50%)
    Mobil 1: 10 micron nominal
    UltraGuard: 10 micron nominal
    Royal Purple: 6 micron nominal
    Amsoil: I couldn't get anything from them except doubletalk. They refused to answer the question.

So I decided to give Royal Purple a try with PureOne as a backup, since they appear to be the best. (And certainly better than the 20 micron nominal efficiency of a Honda or Toyota filter.)

17. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm into the best filters out there but for my water and if your going down into microns filtering oil wouldn't that take out the good stuff from the oil that's meant to help the engine?

iPhone ?

18. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    No. The "good stuff" is liquid. The SAE did a study that recommended filtering downto 1 micron to reduce wear. That was back in the 80s, but now that engines have narrower passages I bet the SAE study would show 0.1 micron.

19. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use any branded 0w-20 oil, been using Bosch Distance Plus oil filters (Prius hasn't reached an oil change yet, not available for the Prius, will probably go OEM), use OEM air filters and put Wix Air Filter Monitor Kits on my cars: Amazon.com: Wix 24801 Air Filter Monitor Kit: Automotive

*tired to post a non shortened amazon link but it wouldn't take it. Don't know if Amazon links are not allowed or a problem with the forum software update.

#19 pmike, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  20. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can not go wrong with Toyota air and oil filters!!
    I have heard that Mobil 1 makes 0 W 20 oil for Toyota, per Toyota specs.

Mendel Leisk and orenji like this.