Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

best oil and oil filter for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen II Prius Technical Discussion' started by ctbering, Jul 25, 2008.

Social Buttons

1. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    AMS, Royal Purple. Penzioil Castro, Moblie 1???? Synthetic versus Organic...Toyota oil filter versus store brands..versus AMS...What is best? Changing 5000 miles versus 10,000 miles with high end synthetics...Also, some of the high end oil products don't support buyers with a service department to change the oil. I live in Chicago Illinois...any suggestions?
  2. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius

Yes ... the search engine is your friend. Most of these questions have had numerous opinions posted regaring them. Check it out.
  3. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    _BEST_ oil? I don't know.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 and a Purolator Pure One PL20195 filter.

The oil is (in my opinion anyway) a good oil made by a large reputable company. The filter is (again my opinion) a good filter, filtering down to smaller size than most. And, it is about 2 x the size of the OEM filter, so there is more room for more gunk. It's reasonably priced (about $6 compared to the $12 Mobil 1 filter) yet it appears to be as good of a filter.

I've had Blackstone labs perform analysis (including Total Base Number, or TBN) after 10k miles and the oil is still good to go.

But, there's probably no best oil just as there is no best toothpaste.

Good Luck!
    Michael Cline likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius is not a Corvette or a Porsche. Hence I think that more-than-adequate protection can be provided by using a quality mineral oil and the Toyota-brand filter, and changing both at 5K mile intervals.

The filter costs ~$3 each if you buy a case of 10 from a Toyota dealer selling discounted parts on the Internet. In southern CA, Kragen's sells Castrol GTX or Pennzoil mineral oil for ~$1 per quart net of rebate, if you look for their Sunday LA Times advertisement.

However if you have excess money burning a hole in your wallet and feel a need to buy expensive synthetic oil, then peace.
  5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius

Yeah. About 7 bucks for an oil change every 5k. Probably about 10 bucks if you don't want to screw around with rebates.

It costs me about 30 bucks for an oil change every 10k ($60 if I get the used oil analysis by Blackstone).:wof:

So, um, yeah, I must have a hole in my wallet. No, that's not it, I mean, this is a hobby and I like to give back to the Prius community. That's it, I'll use that story.
  6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am very satisfied with Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Mobil 1 (double) oil filters. I buy the filters in bulk from Kragen on line. The Mobil 1 filter is double capacity and was discussed in detail on previous postings.
  7. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius

Mineral oil for a car? Is that better or equal to regular Penzoil or Castro GTX?
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Mineral oil = regular engine oil; is not synthetic. Some people call this "dino" oil...
  9. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And if you're lucky, your Toyota dealer gives you two free oil changes per year. Whatever the Toyota spec is for oil and filter should be OK.
  10. Arthurwg

Arthurwg New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Mobil-1 (synthetic) now sells a special fuel-efficient oil that can extend millage by 2%, I believe. It's designated 0W30 and 0W50.