1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best option for battery problem? And southeast Michigan mechanic recs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ExHawkeye, Aug 25, 2014.

1. ExHawkeye

ExHawkeye Junior Member

My 2005 Prius (186k miles) just started throwing up codes and kicked itself into "limp mode." These are the codes:

P3000 (battery control system)
    P0A80 (replace hybrid battery pack)
    P3022 (battery block 12 becomes weak)
    P3024 (battery block 14 becomes weak)

ABS:
    C1241 (too low or too high battery volts)
    C1259 (HV system regenerative fault)
    C1310 (fault in HV system/fault in ACTV brake booster solenoid)

According to the mechanic at my dealer (not a Toyota dealer, but he used to work for Toyota and is Toyota-certified), the ABS stuff is just an offshoot of the main problem, which is in the hybrid battery. I do know that the 12V battery is low as well -- it tested at about 10V -- but he said that's not going to cause those codes.

So now I have three main questions:

1) What's my best option for getting the battery replaced for the lowest cost? (Not eager to put $3,000 or more into a brand-new one.) Are there people who will replace my battery with a rebuit one? Or who will replace the faulty blocks in mine? (I really don't know too much about how this works.)

2) Does anyone have a recommendation for service in the southeast Michigan (Ann Arbor/Toledo/metro Detroit) area, outside of Toyota dealers who I'm guessing will want to put in something brand-new?

3) Aside from the obvious problems with driving a car that can barely accelerate because it's in safe mode, how much am I risking if I continue to drive until I can get the battery replaced? Am I possibly just a day away from finding that I'm totally unable to start the car, or do I probably have a few weeks?

2. blue 04

blue 04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went thru the same situation a few months ago. From what I could figure out the three options are around $3,000.00 for replacement battery from Toyota. 2. A rebuilt battery from a company like Dorman. That runs around $1,600.00 plus the cost of installation. This would have a 3 year warranty and be available from your local auto parts house. 3. Is getting someone to replace a single cell in your hybrid battery. I do this for friends relatives and others here in Huntsville Al. I have been doing it for a nearly a year and so far none of the cars have had a second cell ho out. They will eventually. Good luck its hard choices!

3. blue 04

blue 04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh also they generally still drive but in a kind of limp mode. I was afraid to drive very much. I felt like it couldn't be good for it but I don't have any real knowledge of how it effects it.

4. ExHawkeye

ExHawkeye Junior Member

I've been driving in limp mode (because I really don't have much choice) ... the driving itself is OK as long as I stick to back roads, but I don't want to risk damaging the car or getting stranded...

5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    For about $150 you can put in a new freshly charged 12 V battery.......which will also reset most or all of the codes......and then you can see what happens from there.

It may not help.......or may not solve everything.......but is well worth the small gamble.

When troubleshooting a problem, one should always do the simplest, easiest, most obvious and cheapest things first.
    Your 12 V battery is obviously bad. Change it first.

krmcg likes this.
  6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A new 12 volt will help, but I suspect your mechanic called it correctly. You can clear the codes by disconnecting the 12 volt battery for at least 30 seconds, and then reconnect it. It will act like a regular Prius again until traction battery heats up enough to code again, then it will go back into limp mode. Eventually, the Prius will go no more. That is because the Prius will NOT run on the gas engine by itself.

I suggest you contact AutoBeYours and see if they can assist you. You should be able to get it down to them in Indiana and they can do the work for you cheaper than the dealers could. The Dorman route would also be a good bet. Best bet is the new battery from Toyota, but you pay the piper for that. You can do the third option and that is a battery rebuild and rebalance. It will last a while, but eventually the battery will code again as the cells within the modules continue to age. FWIW, the Dorman batteries are also "rebuilt and rebalanced". With that said, in essence you are getting the same thing as if you were to rebuild yourself. The only real difference will be the three year warranty. But I believe you still have to pay someone to put the battery in for you.

Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana

If you are mechanically inclined and skilled with high voltage electricity, you can successfully repair your Prius on your own for a small amount of money. You will need the proper tools along with replacements modules and the chargers that are required to do the balancing of the modules. You can simply swap modules without rebalancing, but when you rebalance the end result is usually a traction battery that requires less service over time.

One other thing that you need to consider. Chances are the cooling system for the traction battery is dirty at this time. The fans are notorious for getting stopped up with foreign material. Once that happens, the batteries tend to overheat and destroy the modules. So, it is a good idea to have the cooling fan and ductwork cleaned while you are servicing the traction battery.

A bad traction battery does not mean RIP Prius. It simply means that it needs some TLC. Once you make the repair, you should be able to continue to drive your Prius. You will probably also see that the MPG will improve once the repairs have been made since the ICE (gas engine) will not have to work as hard to keep the traction battery charged up.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)