1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best quality Tires for 2012 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Richard Schraudner, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Richard Schraudner

Richard Schraudner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always been fussy about tires, particularly wet weather handling. I switch to 4 snows in winter so I am in need of advice for 3 season tires.

Very pleased with first two weeks driving a 2012. Getting about 53mpg after about 600 miles.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A lot of variables on your question. I would suggest you do some research on the various brands of LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires that are out there. Michelin makes some excellent tires. It would really help if you were to post what size tires are on your car now, along with the wheel size. The Gen III Prius comes with more than one size of tire. Stock is 15" I believe, I think touring is 16 or maybe 17, plus there are Pri out there running SE Wheels like mine that have 17" tires and wheels. Tire size and availability will vary from vendor to vendor (brands). So again, there really is not enough information in your post to accurate answer your question. If you will look on the placard that it on your Prius hidden behind the driver's left door on the door jamb, you will see what size tires are specified for your Prius. Once we know the size, we can then accurately recommend the tires you are looking for to help you in your quest for more knowledge.

I hope this helps you in your quest. I realize you are new here, so with that said I will also add "Welcome to Prius Chat!"

Ron (dorunron)

Spaahrky likes this.
  3. Richard Schraudner

Richard Schraudner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Ron,

Thx for the prompt reply. I have a habit of documenting specs with cell phone images as I am often rushed. Hope this sounds a bit more intelligent.

Sorry I failed to offer the current specs. The Door jam indicates 195/65R/15 which agrees with the currently mounted AEOLUS. These are apparently new, but it is not the first time I have dumped new tires to improve handling quality.

Again, my thanks.

4. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go to Tire Rack for additional info on tires.

5. postal1

postal1 Wanderer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I use Tire Rack, it is in Indiana. Used them the last four years.. Their page has videos and stats on all tires and their opinion which might be for you.. NO, I do not work for them, done working 11 years ago.. They have a good price and will send to your installer..

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just purchased from tyre rack. they shipped to my mech the next day and i had them on my car less than 24 hours after ordering. great experience.
    so my daughter did the same exact thing a month later.

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is that really cheaper or better than going to a tire shop? Wheel Works says they will match Tire Rack prices. What about Costco (they don't do wheel alignment though)? What about tire rotation, balance, and flat repair?

#7 MikeDee, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe Michelin Defender XT? They may give up a little mpg, but seem to get good reviews, and have high longevity rating.

I got our son a set of those for their Civic, in 195/65R15 (they're mounted on the all-season rims, he's on snows right now). Our Prius is 215/45R17 OEM's, so Defender is not an option.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably not, i just did it for convenience. ordered thursday, installed friday, walking distance from my house. if i were a cosco/bjs/other customer, i might check them out. i don't like tyre places, they're like dealers, always trying to upwell you. if you like them, that's good enough for me.

10. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TireRack prices were higher for the exact same tire that I had purchased from my local tire shop by about $20, IIRC. And, I would have had to use a shop in town to install the TR tires that has a somewhat dubious reputation on trying to upsell on everything from window wipers to nitro air.

Local shop I trust did not want anything to do with the TireRack tires (don't blame them).

My local guys did a great job and they are there for me after the sale. I suppose, depending on where you live and the tire you select, TR could be significantly better in price, but don't assume that.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I guess they're like Amazon: not always the price leader, but at least near competive, and very convenient.

12. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tire rack is my go to supplier -- they now provide free hazard protection. Have had to use it twice in the past year -- painless replacement. Tires are always fresh. We have a good tire store with the best hunter balancer that takes direct shipment from tire rack .. I find it to be a good way to go.

Merkey likes this.