1. Offline

suirp91257 Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have played around with tire pressure , still not sure what pressure seems to be the best for MPH...What do most of you have your tire pressure at.
  2. Offline

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you mean MPG ? :confused:
  3. Offline

JimN Let the games begin!

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was running 45psi in the stock Integrities on my 2006. Since you have different tires I suggest the max sidewall pressure. In theory, the higher the better but eventually you won't notice an increase.
  4. Offline

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    From the standpoint of tire wear, running very near the Max air pressure seem to minimize uneven wear, Toyota's recommended tire pressure wears as an under inflated tire, Toyota appears to be biased toward ride comfort in the Gen II. In theory minimum wear should result in maximum traction, but I am not sure anyone has proved that in the specific case of the Gen II Prius.

[IMG]
  5. Offline

David Beale Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I run 40 PSI front and 38 PSI rear in Nokian WR tires. Using the max. pressure on the sidewall is not recommended by tire experts (it's 50-55 PSI in my tires). It gives you max. load capacity but can make the tires more susceptible to damage from road irregularities.
    Higher pressures work better in snow because the tire "self cleans" better (ejects snow from the tread). It can also work better in rain because the sipes may be held a little more open. It usually results in longer tread life as "squirm" is minimized.
    On the downside, you will have a rougher ride.
    Modern tires don't "balloon" like older tires used to. Hence you don't get excess wear in the centre of the tread with higher pressures. Unless you get extreme.
    You'll find a wide range of pressures being used by owners, from the listing on the door-jamb placard (drivers door) to the max pressure on the sidewall. The most common is 42 PSI front and 40 rear (keep the 2 PSI difference whatever you use due to the weight difference front to rear). In the extreme, one lady we read about here had 90 PSI in the tires (until one exploded and blew off the fender).
    GreenMtnBoy likes this.
  6. Offline

CPetrus New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a "new to me" 2009 Touring in Driftwood Pearl and 36.5K miles. She appears to have nearly new Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid tires. What is the pressure I should be running them at to get the best mpgs? (I currently have them at 39 front/37 back.)

Thank you~~
  7. Offline

wicastawakan New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    cold, 42 front, 40 rear
    1 people like this.
  8. Offline

xs650 Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A couple of facts.

The higher the pressure the better the mileage although it's not wise to go over the pressure on the tire's sidewall.

The further you go above the factory recommended pressure, the smaller the gain for each additional psi.

A widely shared opinion here is that someplace around 38-40 psi front and 2 psi less in the rear is a good compromise so you are already there.:cool:
    1 people like this.
  9. Offline

GreenMtnBoy New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for that. Needed the good laugh it gave me. I'm sure she thought it wasn't funny, but 90 PSI? My goodness.

Any reports on the relative impact on mpg of different pressure choices?