Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

Best Tires for Comfortable Ride?

Discussion in 'Gen III 2010+ Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubles' started by CaptAjax, Apr 20, 2012.

Social Buttons

1. CaptAjax

CaptAjax New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wiil soon be needing new tires for my III. Which ones offer the softest ride? I'm not a MPG fanatic, anywhere in the high 40's is OK. Not a performance purist either. I just want as soft a ride as possible in this small car. Thanks.
  2. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try tirerackdotcom
  3. stream

stream Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    +1 on tirerack.com. In addition to great selection and low prices, they have great reviews.
    1 person likes this.
  4. TruSound

TruSound Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just replaced my 16" wheels with 17" and bought the Michlin MXV4 LRR GreenX tires...fantastic tire, highly rated and smooooooth.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a really subjective trait I a tire and co founded by the problem of fuel efficiency. Most of the really comfy tires will either have a low tread wear or high rolling resistance or both!

You may consider something n between and run a tire like the Ecopia EP100 or Energy Saver A/S. The Energy Saver A/S will provide the best mpg, great tread wear and good comfort. The MXV4 is an excellent tire but you'll take a 3+mpg hit with those vs. the Energy Saver A/S.

You may want to read my tire threads and see if they help you narrow down your search.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...esistance-replacement-tires-current-list.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/98592-new-tire-tests-tirerack-com.html
  6. hlunde

hlunde Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I believe that the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity(Grand Touring All-Season) is well known for its excellent ride. These are sold by Firestone dealers and you can get a firm quote on line, so the dealer cannot throw in a lot of extra charges at the point of sale after giving you a telephone quotation. You will have to make sure that any dealer jacks the Prius up correctly when replacing tires.
  7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I have the 15" MXV4's that F8L discusses above. This size is not GreenX but just outside of the LRR classification. I have lost about the 3 mpg average that he indicates above.

But, if you are looking for a smooth, comfortable ride I would highly recommend these tires. The ride, handling, grip and low noise of these tires make them an excellent tire for someone that does not mind the loss of a few mpg's as you indicate.