1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to get Audio from Android Phone and dash mount?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TheNewGuy8, May 7, 2011.

1. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking for the slickest way to get music off my phone into the car system. I'm wary of aftermarkey A2DP bluetooth setups - i've heard of lots of interference - plus then my phone isn't paired with the car's blutooth for auto dialing phone calls and all of that.

I think what I would like is a dash setup that allows me to use my phone for phone/music/navigation. But I want a NICE looking setup that also has direct power and aux input (which means re-routing aux and power cords which I have no idea how to do).

has anyone else created anything like this? I haven't seen this anywhere in the forums which I'm really confused by b/c i feel like there must be tons of folks who want to have their phones available for nav and phonecalls and all the rest.

Thoughts?

wrothgar and coachrgraves like this.
  2. Hasan

Hasan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Haven't done this myself but I think you could use something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B001IA3SZ0?tag=priuschatcom-20 got the works including A2DP support and dual mics etc.. and that little screen might not look so bad alongside the MFD!

Also, if you go to the parrot website, they've got loads of different setups, including the ASTEROID system which looks awesome, but I'm not sure how hard/easy it would be to install in the prius - though there is that cubby hole under the CD player so you probably won't need to remove the current system.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went with an aftermarket headunit to solve those issues. Click on the link in my signature to see how.

4. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    F8L - with the aftermarket headunit, are you still able to use the phone buttons on the steering wheel? Or the built in address book in the car's system?

5. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use this with my Samsung Vibrant:
    Amazon.com: BlackBerry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway (In RIM Retail Packaging with Travel Charger Included) for 8100, 8300, 8800, 9000 Series Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories

It only connects using the stereo profile, so the phone can still connect to the built in hands free at the same time. The only interference I got was hum from the 12v aux power port. It took it in the dealer and they fixed the hum under warranty. There is a TSB for it, search and you should find it easily.

7. Rook

Rook New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much space does this take up when you have it plugged in? Did you keep it in the arm rest? Or splice into the AUX wire and put it behind the dash? Just curious as I also have a 2008 and would love to connect to the stereo vis bluetooth. I wish the factory radio would support A2DP.

8. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The BlackBerry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway is really small. I usually stick it on that lip at the front of the center console.

The USB Car Charger thing is this: Amazon.com: elago Nano EL-Car-C1 USB Car Charger for iPhone, iPod, MP3 Players, Digital Cameras, PDAs, and Mobile Phones (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

You will also need a USB mini (not micro) cable like this one: Amazon.com: Cables Unlimited USB 2.0 Mini5 Pin Cable for GPS, MP3 Players, BlackBerrys and other PDA and smartphones (6ft, Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Or if you don't mind buying from two places, this cable is much cheaper (and monoprice is awesome). For only $0.84 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1.5ft USB 2.0 A Male to Mini-B 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated) | USB 2.0 Cables - Mini-B 5pin Type

I believe the 3.5mm stereo cable is included with the blackberry gateway.

Attached Files:

9. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I really need some help here:

Since for the 2006 I can't find an elegant left-mount option I think I'm going to go with a CD-slot mount:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E5W3D4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1EDSKBH6AXA5I

I know that for bluetooth audio I can use one of these adapters that have been mentioned. But what about power? I'm going to need to run a micro-usb cord to the phone. Is there any easy way to do this inside the dash, and have it come out somewhere in the black plastic of the dash under the CD slot? While I'm at it can I run an aux cord out the same place just so I have options? Ideally what I would love would be to install a stereo aux female jack into the dash close to where the phone will be so I can just take a very small male to male plug and plug in if I wanted to.

Also - with the bluetooth music adapter, can I have music go there but my phone still go to the car's bluetooth so I can control it off the steering wheel?

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can tap the front 12V socket for power.

And yes, you can also run an Aux port to the CD compartment. A 6-ft male-female 3.5mm extension cable would be sufficient. I drilled a hole at the back of the center console to run the cable out of there (remove the cupholder piece first) then run it under the carpet to the front right, then up to the back of the CD compartment where I drilled another hole to thread the female end through.

For the short male-to-male cable, I'd recommend using one that has 90-degree angles to keep things tidy.

Here's an old thread that you might find helpful.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...946-multi-use-car-charger-dual-usb-ports.html

11. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Zen. Is there a guide anywhere about how to actually DO this, though? I'm a totally noob at car modding. I'm not sure how to 'tap a 12-v plug or an aux line. Then I'd need some pictures of which panels to remove and how, etc. Sorry to be a pain, I really want to do this but I want to make sure I do it right and don't F- up my car.

12. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can also tap the center console's 12V using a wiretap, as shown in these photos. It's a grey wire. Be sure to ground your black wire to a metal part of the car.

These photos are from my installation of a 12V plug below the rear cupholder. Look closely and you can also see the hole I drilled in the center console, right below the white Smartkey transceiver, where 3.5mm extension cables are run from the Aux port. The cables are run under the carpet toward the front.

I don't have any photos of "how to disassemble the right front panels", but you should be able to search using a similar phrase.

It's quite easy to do. The trickiest part is to pull out the right vent cover. A butter knife or panel removal tool would help a lot. Pry the top part out then pull it straight down. The other plastic panels just snap in and out, not hard at all. Don't be afraid, just DO IT! :)

Attached Files:

13. dougbraun

dougbraun Junior Member

Hello,

Once you have installed this gadget in the console, do you have to fiddle with it each time you take a drive and want to use it? Or will it automatically power up and connect with your phone, like the car's built-in hands-free does?

I am wondering because a while ago I bought a similar gadget (a knock-off of something from Philips) and each time I wanted to use it, I had to disconnect the charger and manually power it up. It turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

Thanks,
    Doug

14. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My phone (Samsung Vibrant - Android) automatically connects to the blackberry gateway when the car turns on. There has been a rare occasion where it didn't automatically connect, but that has also happened with the car's hands free. I blame my phone on that one.

Now my Plantronics BackBeat 903+ headphones... Those never pair properly. I have to power them up and then enter pairing mode every time (not just the first time). Then I have to manually tell the phone to connect to them. Now that I've figured out the work around it's at least consistent.

Amazon.com: Plantronics BackBeat 903+ Headset: Cell Phones & Accessories

The blackberry gateway does not have any of the problems that my BackBeat 903's have.

15. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok! So here's my plan:

I got a CD-Slot phone cradle. I was skeptical, but its a great device, looks good and its very stable. I'm going to tap the behind-dash 12v line and install a 12v cigarette-lighter-esque cage in the back of the storage bin under the stereo, then I'll put a very shallow 12v-->usb adapter in there and run the charger cable to my phone out the top of that (I'll have to dremel just a very small notch out of flip-down panel. Then I got a bluetooth gateway that will sit in the center armrest, out of sight (I got a different one than the blackberry, but its the same idea.

Once its all done it should be very slick with minimal wires and full access to my phone. I just need to find the instructions for how to remove the dash panels I'll ned, the rest I can manage.

16. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius