1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better Tires for the Touring model?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by freo-1, Jun 15, 2009.

1. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a fair bit of data regarding tire upgrades for the base model ( I had Goodyear Comfort Treads on my 2007, and they were excellent)

However, there does not seem to be much on the Touring model tire selection. The user reviews at Tire Rack pretty much trashes the standard tire on the touring model.

I live in MA, and want to have a tire that is good in snow and ice.

So, what's the recommendations?

Cheers!!

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that the Touring Edition only made up about 5% of the Priuses sold in the US 2006-2009. So you can't expect that there'd be as much stuff here on the Touring tires.

That said, there's still quite bit (use the google or advance search features), including: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/37637-touring-edition-tire-upgrade.html

Your problem will be that there are not a large variety of tires available in the Touring OEM size of 195/55R16. Therefore, it seems that most Touring owners go up to the more popular size of 205/55R16, or if they stick with the OEM size of 195/55R16 it seems that the Falken Ziex ZE-912 is a popular choice. OnlineTires.com sells them for $77 each plus shipping: ZIEX ZE-912 - OnlineTires.com

1 person likes this.
  3. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Tom! Most helpful.

I did not realize the Touring model was such a low percentage.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    5% was the percentage I read someone post a while ago. Don't know for sure if it's true or not. It certainly seems true to me based on my Prius sightings on the street.

And I can tell you, that the percentage of people wanting the Touring Edition was A LOT higher (including me). Especially among people in the know. The handling and braking on the Gen II Standard Prius, quite frankly, SUCKS. That's why there are so many handling mods and people seeking handling mods for the Standard Prius. And when Consumer Reports tested the Touring Edition, it also highlighted the Touring's much improved handling and braking over the Standard Prius.

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I wouldn't say the Gen II Prius is a great handler or breaker by any means, but part of that is due to the terrible stock Goodyear Integrity tires.

6. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yep. Concur entirely!

That is why I figured that I get the 09 Touring loaded over the 2010 Standard model. The Touring model DOES handle quite a bit better. I'm VERY happy with it.

7. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check Tire Rack. Potenza's are highly rated for all season. I went with the Ecopia's for Summer only.

8. kmgeb2000

kmgeb2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have any form of inclement winter weather, I strongly suggest the Nokian WG2 for the Touring. After 6k or so on 07 Touring, they are as different as night and day from the bridgestones - all for the better. Winter driving becomes a non-issue as long as the snows is not too deep. They ride quieter and seem equally as competent in wet weather, although not quite Tripletread territory for the deep water as it were.(previously owned a Forester with the goodyears). Too boot they are also a low rolling resistence tire with "eco-friendly" construction.

1 person likes this.