1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BG MOA Oil Supplement and BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bull Winkus, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Bull Winkus

Bull Winkus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just got back from the local Toyota Dealer. I took my Prius in for its 10,000 mile list of things to do and charge the customer for. One item on the list was an oil change, and I took my own to the party because I prefer Mobile 1 for a number of reasons that I wont go into here.

Looking over the itemized estimate, I saw a couple of things that I was unfamiliar with and questioned the sales rep.

The first was, "Install BG MOA Oil Supplement." He replied that they added the treatment to every oil change as it prevented oil breakdown, bla bla bla ... engine lasts longer ... bla bla bla ... better gas milage.

So, I said no. The synthetic takes care of that. I don't need it. Don't put it in.

The second was, "Install BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner." He replied that it was a spray can and they sprayed it into the intake and then cleaned the injectors, etc. He tried to make it sound like the mechanic actually did more than press the nozzle and aim the spray, but I'm pretty sure that was all that happened.

I said, OK that's good. Then I moved on down the list and approved everything else. So, the outcome was two non conformities with their list; They were to install my Mobil 1 instead of their non synthetic, and they were not to install the BG MOA Oil Supplement. Clear enough. Car goes that way. I go other way to wait.

About an hour or so later I see my car in the exit queue, pay my ticket and leave. Now, as I'm looking over the itemized invoice, I see that "Install BG MOA Oil Supplement" was still part of the list. The BG 44K was charged under Parts for $15.78 as well, but I'm cool with that. The BG MOA Oil Supplement was not listed under parts, so it's possible that they didn't put it in, but only left the name in the list by mistake. But then, of the 5 quarts of Mobil 1 they gave me back a quart and made it a point to tell me that they found one they already had and didn't have to use all of mine. (pause) Hmmm... fishy.

So, I had to look this stuff up using Google.
    [link deleted. "... only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 5 posts or more ..." ]

Now the questions:

Anyone else's dealership doing this?
    Anyone know of or have any experience with these products?
    Does anyone think I should be concerned?
    Is there a way to tell if the additive is in my oil?
    If a Greyhound flips over, does that make it a blunder bus?
    Should we build a monument to obscurity and not tell anyone what it is?

These are very troubling questions. :focus:

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wouldn't necessarly be concerned so much about the additive, but I would check the oil level on the dipstick to make sure they didn't overfill it (very common mistake). I agree with you that you don't need the oil additive, and with 10k miles you don't need the fuel system cleaner either.

You may want to consider a different dealer (or possibly do it yourself) if they cannot follow simple instructions.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, Bull Winkus!
    Just have the dealer do what's in the maintenance "passport" and you'll save money. At 10K, no need for any intake/injector cleaning, as DF says. MANY dealers try to rip you off on service, suggesting things they always do. They always do it to make some more money, not for the car's or your benefit. Try to find an honest one.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually guys the dealer likely does these things because the service adviser actually believes it does some good. I used engine flush and oil additives when I believed it did some good, I wouldn't use them on newish cars though but when an engine had 100,000+km on it I liked to flush the lube system and add a stabilising additive to the oil because I believed it was good for the longevity of the engine. I found flushing reduced hydrocarbon emissions when tested on a 4 gas analyser. I believe it improved the compression by improving the ring seal against the bore.

My Prius has just past 100,000km, so guess what I'll be doing at the next oil change?

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    However, the service adviser could be wrong.

The recommendation from Mobil (and other oil manufacturers) is not to use additives because the oil already has an additive package and the "supplement" is not needed.

If I told the service adviser that I wanted them to use a specific oil, I provided the oil, and I told them not to add any additive and they went ahead and added it anyway, I would be pissed (not drunk, angry).

6. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BG products work very well but they're not needed with only 10K on your car. Here is the BG site for anyone interested.

Welcome to BG Products, Inc.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, if you say no thanks it means you don't want the additives and even if they put them in you shouldn't have to pay for them and may be well within your rights to ask the oil be changed at their expense because they contaminated it with an additive you didn't want and is not recommended by the manufacturer of the oil.

That isn't to say I don't think the additives work. I now believe Toyota engineers its cars to last long enough without additives in the oil however extending the life of the engine can't hurt.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not entirely convinced that magic additives will make up for lack of maintenance, or poor quality lubes. Consider the work truck at my hobby farm, a 1984 Ford pickup. It has run its entire life on either Esso XD-3 15W-40 or Esso XD-3 0W-30, depending on season, and currently has around 528,000 km on it

The motor has an Edelbrock intake I put on back in 1985. Several years ago, I noticed coolant seepage from one of the intake bolts. Well, easy enough to fix: drain the coolant, pull the intake, put new gaskets on, reassemble

Oops, the bolt broke off when I tried to remove it. So I had to also remove the head as well. I was pretty surprised at how clean it was underneath the intake manifold, usually sludge will build up underneath. The valley was spotless, valve springs spotless, you had to use a white cloth to pick up any residue

The use of a heavy duty motor oil, with very high detergent levels, probably goes a long way to explaining why the motor was so clean. I suppose the ring land and crown land of the pistons are also just as clean, I can infer that from how clean the top end was.

That motor never saw oil changes more than every 6 months, sometimes putting 20,000 km on the oil and filter With a high quality oil, you can do that and get away with it

Armed with new intake manifold bolts and head bolts, everything reassembled and - so far - leak free. As a hint, if you have to work on a Ford pushrod motor of that vintage or older, remember that Ford used different length pushrods to get the valve sets correct

It's really important to build a little sorting tray so the pushrods and valve lifters are returned exactly where they belong. It's not like a Chevy where you throw the pushrods into a tray and then put them in whereever you want afterwards

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    However the use of gas additives might be a good idea, depending on the quality of the gasoline you use. There is a Toyota Tacoma owner in the NJ area who recently had his 4.0 V6 rebuilt, it has around 158,000 miles on it and he wanted more performance, but not a supercharger

I'm going to try to find those photos, the valves had pretty heavy deposits. He claimed he always ran whatever cheap oil was on sale, and whatever cheap no-name gas he could find. After seeing his motor torn down, he changed his tune on that

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok found the photos. This is of the crown land and ring land of the piston

Attached Files:

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Intake and exhaust valve

Attached Files:

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Cylinder head, note deposits in combustion chambers. Perhaps not bad for almost 160,000 miles

Attached Files:

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Varnish and sludge on the buckets

Attached Files:

14. Bull Winkus

Bull Winkus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for your responses everyone. It's comforting to get other's opinions on these kinds of things. It is truly a complex world we live in, and being a jack of all trades, master of none, leaves one with certain gaps of knowledge that only the Internet and collaborative analysis can fill.

I feel like the dealership, through ineptitude, not deception, did actually put the additive in the oil. But, then they covered it up, which is deception. The BG site stated that the additive was compatible with all engine oils, including synthetics, so perhaps there is no harm done. However, this is really strike two for this dealership. On the first oil change, the same dealer used my 1 gallon of Mobil 1 and somehow missed the fact that there was another quart in a plastic bag next to it. When they returned the car to me that time, they told me that I didn't bring enough oil and they had to put in a quart of their own non synthetic and charged me for it on the invoice.

I hadn't left the dealership at all, so I was somewhat miffed that they hadn't done the courtesy of clearing with me the change in the work order first. They have a PA system.

I think I'm done with them.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Done with them" I think that is a good choice on your part Routine service is really pretty easy for the Prius. Once you get used to where the oil filter is, you don't need ramps at all. Just loosen the filter with the tool, use a 2 litre pop bottle with the top cut off to catch the oil, and put the new filter on. I can usually do a Prius oil change in 15 mins if I'm bored - perhaps 10 mins or less if I'm in a rush

16. hxiong

hxiong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oil changes are quick and simple, you should try to do it yourself.

17. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is that like asking the Pope about his religion?;):D
    Of course they will say great things about themselves.

But, are there long term studies by independent researchers to conclude that this particular product will do what it claims to do and perhaps better than any other such products?
    CU many years ago tested different oils in NYC cabs for 75k miles, I think. Engines torn down before and after, measuring all meaningful parts. Found no meaningful differences in wear. This kind of testing what would be convincing, not claims by the makers.

18. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Doesn't it take less than 4 quarts with a filter change included? Why would they need more than 4 qt? Or, is this another car, not your Prius?

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, there's another problem. Three quarts is actually plenty for a Gen II Prius oil and filter change. Four is too much, and five would probably result in a Check Engine Light on the drive out.

Always, always, always, no matter who does an oil change: let the car sit OFF for ten minutes and then check the level yourself before driving away. This can find many gruesome errors before they become expensive.

[Note to self: Always, always, always, let the keyboard cool for ten seconds and re-read my own posts before hitting the return key. This can prevent many grievous errors before they become embarassing.]

20. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did a google search and found THIS POST.
    I did the google search because the local BENTLEY mechanic recommends this additive.

If it's good enough for Bentleys (and this guy is a car nut), it's good enough for Priuses/Prii. :)