1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BG MOA Oil Supplement and BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bull Winkus, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ragman

ragman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing I didn't see mentioned about the throttle body cleaner is that most throttle plates and idle valves come out of the manufacturer with a special coating which keeps stuff from sticking to them. If you clean them when they are new or newish, you are going to end up removing the special coating and actually causing faster buildup which then you have to clean. I know with Fords, for instance, there are notes all over the service manuals and the throttle bodies saying "Dont clean the darn throttle, they are coated!"

Now once it has 80-100k miles on it, the coating has probably been worn off and the throttle body needs to be cleaned anyway. But at 10k? absolutely not.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're safe if you use a specific throttle body cleaner that claims to be safe for coated throttle bodies. With the Prius, I had to clean the TB and MAF a couple of times

With the FJ, that is turning out to be a yearly chore. It's helpful on the FJ that I can actually remove the TB just enough to clean it, without having to disconnect the coolant loop to it. Keeps the cleaner out of the intake manifold

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And as we know, Bentley mechanics are all experts on Prius engines. Save your money.

4. Bearracing

Bearracing New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your question concerning rather you should add BG MOA with your oil change is actually very good!

First of all, I do not work for BG Products or any of their affiliates or distributor networks, but I am very familiar with the OEM and aftermarket fluid/additive requirements or recommendations and I am very familiar with BG Products. I do how ever work for a private consultant firm that specializes in reducing operating/maintenance costs for both public and private fleet operations.

BG Products company is a privately* owned commercial/industrial level petro-chemical company.

*By being "privately" owned, they do not have to operate based on their stockholder requirements, that is because there are NO stockholders.

BG Products was founded by a small group of chemical engineers back in the early 1970s I believe and is still operated by that same group. BG Products "DOES NOT" offer any consumer level products, as they are strictly commercial-industrial level only. They're (BG Products) based in Wichita, Kansas and a few years ago I was offered the opportunity to tour their commercial development/testing labs there and I can say, I was quite impressed.
    During my tour, I was also informed that BG Products engineering does a tremendous amount of internal development work for a number of OEMs, including Ford, Toyota, Nissan, General Motors, Mercedes-Benz, plus a number of others.
    I've since became aware that because of BG Products' vast expansion in the world-wide market, they've had to contract out some of their developmental engineering work to an outside engineering source, specifically Chevron Oronite.

I can tell you, based on my personal experience in emperical testing, that using BG MOA and BG 44K (44K is a pour-in fuel system cleaner and is not available in an aerosol) is the best you're going to get. I do know, based on written information given to me from BG engineering, is that their internal testing states that Mobil1 is the best over-the-counter available motor oil, in their opinion. BG engineering has also stated that adding BG MOA to Mobil1 is approved, but the gains you will achieve are minimal.

Two years ago, we were involved with a controlled test with the City of New York and their fleet (over 18,000 vehicles), where using BG 44K and BG MOA at every oil change showed dramatic improvements in fuel costs. The original testing involved 120 vehicles, but in January of 2011, they expanded the program to include BG MOA & BG 44K fleet wide, which resulted in a $6.5M dollar savings in fuel costs for the City (New York) in 2011. I'm also aware that beginning in January (2012) Jaguar/Land Rover now "require" BG MOA and BG 44K at every oil change on their Direct Injection engines (MOA & 44K are provided to the consumer by Jaguar/Land Rover under warranty).

mikey_t and Justdidit like this.