1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bike rack confusion

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Bsver, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Bsver

Bsver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have read all of the threads here and have contacted many hitch places and I still feel like I am getting conflicting info. Told that there is no class 2 for a v, that I can't carry 4 bikes on a tow hitch rack, that I can or can't carry 4 bikes on a class 1 hitch, etc.

So, bottom line: I want to carry 4 adult bikes on my v using a tow hitch rack. Can I do this? What category hitch and from whom, what size received, and what racks are recommended? Thank you.

2. Out and About Green

Out and About Green New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You sure can. There are 2 ways you can do this - a back mount bike carrier that works with a square hitch or a roof rack and rack bike carrier.
    We represent Rhino Rack - the one company that offers racks for all Prius models. Look at Out and About Green website. You can research your model number and the price. Shipping is free in the continental US, and if you call in special discounts.
    I just personally installed my own rack and basket - took about an hour, very simple - it's amazing how free the inside of the car is now.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Class 1 works fine, if you don't exceed the 200-pound tongue limit.

Unless you've got really heavy bikes, it's no big deal.

Mine weigh 30 pounds, so 4 of them combined with the weight of the rack itself easily fall within that.

4. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    4 bikes was my goal as well but I eventually settled on a 2 bike rack considering the amount of times i'd actually use it and having biking friends with trucks/SUVs.
    Funny thing is even though my class 1 hitch is rated for 200 pounds tongue weight I have yet to find a commercially available 4 bike rack that fits an 1-1/4" receiver. I suppose its a liability/safety factor thing, like the fact the Prius v owners manual specifically states not to transport bikes on a hitch rack. :D
    Anyway, as Jimbo says, to mount a 4 bike rack get a hitch with a 2" receiver and your good to go.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's no big deal. Online searches can be quite fruitful...

6. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I guess i really didn't look very hard. :)
    Actually when it comes to rack recommendations I much prefer this type:
    Swagman XC 2-Bike Folding Dual Receiver Hitch Rack - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
    Quick and easy to load bikes, but from what i've seen only come in 2 bike capacity for 1-1/4" receivers. 2" recievers no problem, go for something like this: Swagman Quad 2+2 2"Receiver Bike Rack - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

With traditional diamond frame bicycles going the way of the dinosaur those hanging type racks are a pain to use in my experience, need adapters, straps, etc. The other rack type can take some fiddling around as well to line up the bikes so the seat/handlebars/pedals don't contact, but are more secure, and no worry of bikes swinging around to ding your hatch/bumper.