1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bill allowing PIP in pay car-pool lanes

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by greinstein, Apr 26, 2012.

1. greinstein

greinstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From the LA Times website:

A bill that would prevent local transit agencies from tossing solo drivers in zero- and low-emission vehicles out of some car-pool lanes cleared the California Assembly on Thursday.
    The legislation, authored by Assemblyman Bob Blumenfield (D-Woodland Hills), would allow cars with a Clean Air Vehicle Sticker free access to carpool lanes that are converted to High Occupancy Toll lanes.
    There are a number of such projects around the state and agencies such as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority plan to make any solo drivers pay for access, regardless of what they are driving. Car-poolers and buses will still be able to use the lanes without charge.
    In Southern California, transit officials are converting 25 miles of carpool lanes on the 10 and 110 freeways into such toll lanes. Solo drivers will have to pay up to $1.40 a mile during peak rush-hour traffic.
    As part of a one-year and pilot program, the MTA plans to start charging tolls for solo drivers using a section of the 110 Freeway between Adams Boulevard and the Artesia Transit Center in October and the 10 Freeway between Alameda Street and the 605 Freeway in February.
    “The clean-car sticker program has been a tremendous success in keeping our air cleaner and reducing climate change,†said Blumenfield. “But we will soon see many carpool lanes converted into toll lanes. My bill preserves a key incentive for consumers to continue to purchase cleaner, greener cars.â€
    Vehicles eligible for the stickers include electric cars, plug-in hybrids as well as natural gas and hydrogen-powered autos.
    Blumenfied’s legislation, AB 2405, passed the Assembly on a 49-25 vote and moves to the state Senate for consideration.
    The MTA has said it wants to keep traffic moving by charging all solo drivers for using the roads. The agency said the prior experiments allowing solo drivers in so-called clean vehicles have clogged traffic more than many people realize.

Maybe we can continue to use the 110 and 10 toll lane yet.:)

5 people like this.
  2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    But here in Northern California, traffic authorities were surprised to find worse congestion when the yellow stickers expired, apparently due to more cars in the non-carpool lanes.

3. greinstein

greinstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same here in Southern CA. I think the MTA is talking about the car-pool lane. Yes, after the stickers expired, there were a lot less cars in the car-pool lanes, but more in the "regular" lanes, with more congestion. I remember news articles on this last year.

4. samyul

samyul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was just about to post the same article. I was facing a daunting commute from Irvine to LA later in the year and thought I could use the green sticker. I ended up getting the Prius v when I read that the 110 carpool lane would be converted to a toll road and that PiP owners would have to pay despite the green sticker. Given the circumstances, I might be kicking myself, but (hopefully) my wife gets the promotion she's seeking, and we get to stay in LA. Win, win.