1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black Spot HID Step Beam HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Michael325, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Michael325

Michael325 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can someone tell me whats causing this black spot here in my HID beam steps? Is it my housing or bulb or did I just align it incorrectly? Its a real eye sore while driving. (I just installed new headlight housing) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks. download.jpg

Car is angled downward if you are wondering why it has such a short cut off lol.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You do realize that you installed JDM headlights? The cutoffs are opposite from USDM in that the cutoffs are stepped up higher on the left.

Did you cover one side at a time and adjust? Cover, then uncover, repeat. That will show you better how the two beams are overlapping. Then adjust.

3. Michael325

Michael325 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you! Yes I did notice that in a TRS video guide that my steps were opposite.

So just move them in closer to each other right?
    Thanks again! Like this >> << ? Lol.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Several others have done this mod (sfv41901, and genetix come to mind), so hopefully someone will help you out. :)

SCH-I535

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This may sound counterintuitive, but try moving the passengers side over to the right first. A little hard to tell, but the right side of your pic looks a bit darker than the left side, indicating the passengers side light is way over to the left.

The two overlapping beams may be causing the black/dark spot due to interference. Example is when you expect the spot on the road directly in front of the vehicle to be the brightest due to overlapping beams, but in actuality, there may be some darker areas due to this interference effect.

SCH-I535

6. Michael325

Michael325 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Will do, thanks.