1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blizzard Pearl and Dr. Colorchip

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by robertk328, Nov 27, 2014.

1. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is my second Blizzard Pearl. First was a 2010 Prius, and other than a few spots on the bumper I didn't have any major damage to the paint. When I bought the 2014 Prius I didn't hesitate to get my preferred color again... Blizzard Pearl.

Fast forward 6 months when I get a rock chip. I have some touch up from the last one but not sure whether I want to use it knowing its old and a tri-color application. I google around for how to repair it and end up with either Dr. Colorchip or Langka.

Due to the type of chip I hear Langka may be better but you need two different paint colors (white and Pearl) while Dr. Colorchip says they have a color that works. My order of Dr. Colorchip for Blizzard Pearl arrives quickly and the paper inside says its 070 which is the Pearl color while I thought the website said they had a combo color for matching. Either way I test the process on my wife's Honda Pilot (got a kit for her car too) as the paint issue is easier. Once I'm confident I try it on mine.

I start with the bumper and it works great.

Before:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417122596.347180.jpg
    After:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417122626.208212.jpg

Could have done better in prep but I'm happy. I think I can sand it down a bit and hit it again.

So I switch to the hood. The color isn't 100% but it's pretty good but I think it is dependent on angle of view. Sometimes it disappears but other times you see it. Needs a clear coat for gloss which I will try and update this later on.

Before:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417122736.814341.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417122792.992485.jpg

After:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417122824.057928.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417122857.742364.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417122869.714204.jpg

I would do it again, though there's a part of me that wants to try the Langka. Just not sure how well the two step process would be and I'm hoping the clear coat makes it even better. I think this Blizzard Pearl paint color is awesome but I was spoiled with the first 4 years on my 2010 I didn't have any issues like this one. Touch up can't be perfect but I think with a single color you could have better results. The best part is no clumps or typical build up of paint -- the surface is mostly smooth to the touch which should smooth out even more with clear coat and some wax.

I'm posting this after my experience looking for info and not finding much. Hopefully it helps someone!

2. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got my car washed today and took a few more photos. The color has blended quite well, I think. Need to do a bit more to level it out and add the clear coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrbigh likes this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Nice !!!!(y)