1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blizzard pearl touch up paint

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bear4, Apr 25, 2012.

1. bear4

bear4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anybody have experience with blizzard pearl touch up paint? How difficult is it to touch up this color? I was unfortunate to back into somebody's car with my rear bumper today as he was backing out of his parking spot and I was backing up trying to get to another available spot. I hit him at about 3 mph with my rear bumper. To my suprise, all I had was 3 scratches on my rear bumper about 1" long. His rear quarter panel and rear bumper were dented pretty bad. I guess prius has a strong rear bumper. Anyway, I have $500 deduct. on my insurance policy and rather than go through a hassle with a body shop and taking a risk of them not being able to match the paint perfectly, I would rather touch up the scratches myself and move on. What a bummer, my car is only 4 months old! Please advise.

2. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ugh. I feel your pain.

All I know is that there are 3 coats ---color 040 base, 070 top coat, then clear coat. There's a few threads on it where they also list online sources and some methods to make it look nice

4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was in the same boat -- rear bumper was hit when the car was less than a month old.

The Toyota book lists the touchup as a base coat white and the pearl clear coat -- it looks better if you do two coats of each.

Maybe some use an additional clear top coat.

5. kc8hyg

kc8hyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fixing them perfectly is expensive, but white paint is the easiest to give the once-over. You'll notice it if you really look, but generally it will be unnoticeable with touch up paint. Many very thin coats, that's the trick.

7. WIChris

WIChris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I ordered the blizzard pearl touch-up paint pens from Crown Automotive. The color matched well, though I quickly learned that paint pens are not nearly as functional (and don't last nearly as long) as the bottles with brush applicators. But fixing small nicks/chips/etc. is otherwise easy, and once the base and mid coats are down, the overall look is very clean.