1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block heater has died

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dark_matter_doesn't, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Infinite resistance, doesn't draw current. It's been installed for a few years. It was a Toyota of Canada part.

Anyone else have theirs die? Is this to be expected?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've used ours a lot, virtually every first start of the day. Not driving the car every day, maybe every other day now.

Block heater still fine, though I did drag the plug down the road one time, ground it half off. Spliced in a replacement, no further problems. Could it be a problem with the plug, or the last few feet of the cord?

Not sure how you test this without cutting a foot or two off. Maybe with a pin probe through the insulation? Resistance should be in range of 30~40 ohm I think, when it's good.

Dark_matter_doesn't likes this.
  3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The cord went bad on my Gen2's EBH after just 1.5 winters, had an open. Worth a shot to rule out, if you were measuring at the cord vs. at the block heater prongs itself.

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So yall do have Plug-ins.

5. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the cord check ideas. I don't recall seeing any reports here of block heater failures.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall someone visiting Alberta from southern US, and the locals had him half-convinced that plugins were big there: pretty much every driveway sported a vehicle with an extension cord running out to it. ;)

I'm in lower mainland BC..., we saw someone SWIMMING at kits beach day before yesterday. I get some puzzled looks over block heater use year 'round.

7. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was the plug. I used sharp probes to poke thru the cable insulation to determine this, plus that the heater is still 35 ohms resistance. I put a new plug on the cable, then discovered that my 110 VAC timer has a ridge that blocks the larger body of the new plug. Damn. Now I have a short extension cord connecting the heater to the timer.

I do have a "plug-in" Prius, but the energy charge is in the form of heat, not electricity.

PriusGuy32 likes this.