1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block heater with break-away magnetic connector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Ari, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been wanting to install an EBH and also rig a magnetic plug. I'm sure most people are content to just plug in their EBH and then unplug it in the morning, but I would like to simplify things a little and be able to drive away without having to remove the cable. A magnetic plug would allow me to forget about the power cable in the mornings. I could have the system on a timer so it's not always burning power but I would otherwise leave it plugged in.

At home I have a deep fryer and it has a 110V magnetic plug that will probably deliver 15 Amps. It's a safety device that reduces the chance of a kid tripping over the wire and pulling the fryer down from a countertop. That connector would be ideal for this EBH application! However, the spare parts available for these fryers only include the cable itself, not the other half of the connector:

http://www.theconsumerlink.com/TFal/detail...SS%2D983927/100

Anyone know of a source for similar magnetic plugs? It's also the same idea as the cable on Mac laptops, only bigger. I've searched online and come up with nothing except fryer parts, but there would be many uses for a plug like this.

Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't, but I'd be interested if you find something.

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just to clarify: The break-away would attach to the male plug at the car's grill?

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Oct 15 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]526118[/snapback]</div>
    I think you'd have to replace the male end with a separate piece made to mate with the female side. You'd probably have to modify your extension cord as well.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, I wasn't even aware that breakaway plugs were available for
    120vac rather than just safe low-voltage. If you figure out who
    makes it for the fryers, please post it. Hmm, maybe some running
    around at the hubbell and eagle and leviton sites might turn up
    something..
    _H*

6. jbeletti

jbeletti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ari,

Were you able to find out any more about the potential of creating a magnetic breakaway cord or connector for the Prius EBH?

A week ago, my neighbor showed me his magnetic breakaway cord on his fondue pot. I was intrigued for sure

Since then, I too have been researching various sorts of breakaway cords. I looked at more mechanical methods first. But I am fearful of the pulling force required for them and what that sort of stress does to the conductors. Even with a fixed receptacle under the bumper (vs. a dangling cord).

Found some nasty truck fires where the fire investigation suggested that the cause may have been related to stressed insulation and/or the wire itself within the cords.

I am just trying to prevent the inevitable when I back out of the garage after forgetting to unplug :eek:

Jim

7. Northbend08

Northbend08 Arrrgh!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The fire service uses outlets (inlets?) that use a spring to eject the extension cord when the ignition is switched on. While more complex than a magnetic connection, the parts are available.

Here's one: Kussmaul Electronics Co., Inc. Super Auto Eject Data Sheet , though not a model I'm familiar with. The linked page says it is wired to the starter circuit, but the ones I've used are linked to the ignition, and you can hear the cord spring out of the ejector and strike the floor (or wall).

8. jbeletti

jbeletti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the link. Great products at Kussmaul. Not sure I'd want that big receptacle on my Prius but I may put one on my truck for a battery tender. I have a truck that sits 95% of the time and is used for towing an RV only. I could put one of those in the rear bumber (diamond plate aluminum and large enough).

But I really like that auto-eject feature and will continue to research this. Not sure if anyone has seen the inside of their front bumper for any reason (crash repair etc). Wondering if it's packed with sensors for air bag deployment of if one of those receptacles could be put in from the back-side, say behind a hinged license plate bracket???

I realize that this talk is sort of the "lazy man's way out" but it can also be a safety consideration on that one day a year I leave the house "stupid" for some reason.

Jim

9. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not to worry, eventually, one of the plugs going to the EBH will pull free. I've driven off [to work] and forgot to unplug the EBH a few times. Either the NEMA 5-15 plug from the car will pull out of the extension cord, or the extension cord will pull free from the outlet in the house! ;)

Would you please measure the gap between your fry'ers magnetic plug? If it's 0.5 in, then that's a normal width for NEMA plugs. You could solder/glue some steel blades in a normal female plug and hope that the steel will hold the magnet in place... Or just allow the steel blades to bend out of the femal NEMA cord.

10. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another possibility:

The tension of the car backing out will damage the wiring of the EBH before the plug lets go.

11. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also would be very interested in something of this nature. I've seen them on my deep fryer, electric skillet and quite a few more newer appliances. I will soon be picking up an 08 Touring and I don't expect to see warm weather for a while now in NE Ohio. I have a wall outlet right in front of my garage bay that will be ideally suited for a block heater on a timer.

I was thinking of installing a very low wattage red light that would be on anytime it is plugged in and placing that right in front of the car so that I can't miss it when backing out in the morning. I can easily see myself forgetting it otherwise.

Anyone who manages to track down a simple solution will have my eternal gratitude.

David

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto

13. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can't find anyone that sells just the plug. You could try retrofitting one of these. The cord pulls out of the back of it. You could solder leads into the two holes meant to go to the fryer and attach a plug, and connect the EBH to that.

14. EasyPlug

EasyPlug New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm working with a small start up building a magnetic breakaway device for block heaters (easyplug.ca). We are still in the process of building our prototype but I was wondering how much you guys would pay for a magnetic connector.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would vary depending upon what exactly you could supply, quality, workmanship, reliability, etc.
    The number that came off the top of my head was $20, maybe up to $30 if the product looked particularly good and had a really good install.

16. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well if you ever want it tested on a Prius, I could give you my opinion.

Wayne

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From the web site, it looks like the company doesn't actually make ANYplugs yet. Wonder how far out their time line is.

18. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this would be nice for a plugin plug.. just drive away in the mornig after a charge

19. Martin Thomas

Martin Thomas New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I realise that this is an old thread. I was not able to check easyplug. I assume the venture did not live up. However, I did discover magnoplug (sorry can't publish URL yet) which seems to be fairly recent. Oddly, their kickstart funding failed. Looks like they still have a good attitude and from their press release, they seem to be going ahead anyway. I'll certainly contribute if their create a new funding opportunity. :)

20. Maggy Field

Maggy Field Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You could attach a 1/16" steel cable to the wall and to the body of the plug of the extension cord. Make the cable a couple of inches shorter than the cord. It will pull out the plug with no tension on the cord as you drive away.

For discussion/educational purposes only. The usual caveats apply. This may be a stupid idea, check with U.L. laboratories, a competent engineer and anybody else you might need to before actually doing this. Blah blah blah.