1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block Heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by buzzard bill, Oct 11, 2006.

1. buzzard bill

buzzard bill New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is getting cold in the UP of Michigan and I would like to know about Block Heaters for a 2005 Prius.

1. Cost
    2. where to buy
    3. How hard to install

Question: Is the cost equal tpo the Savings ibn fuel

Thanks,
    Bill

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check out this rather exhaustive topic on the subject....

Block Heater

3. carlisle

carlisle New Member

When you were already ablte to put the block heater in place, be sure the loop of the heater points toward the center of the block. When using the plate above the starter motor, the loop should point forward. If using the plate behind the generator, the loop should face rearward. This is to ensure that the element doesn't come into contact with a cylinder inside the block. If the element touches metal inside the block, it Will NOT work.

Also, always remember not to plug in the heater with no coolant in the engine (this will result to quick burn out since it requires liquid coolant for heat transfer)

4. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buzzard bill @ Oct 11 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]331428[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it was cheap, $30, but hard to install. I like the fact the car warms up quicker. I agree with looking at that other thread, gave some good advice.

5. Arrallen

Arrallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buzzard bill @ Oct 11 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]331428[/snapback]</div>
    To add my 2 cents worth to this thread;
    1. $60.00 which I thought was a total rip-off for what you get, but so is most things you buy from the dealer.
    2. I bought mine on line.
    3. This is one of those jobs that require a lot of luck which I didn't have. The hole for the heater is on the back of the engine facing the left wheel. You can't see it, only feel where it is at, just below the heater hose. The only way to get to the hole that I know of is to reach from the bottom of the engine at an angle from the right of the car. The instructions say to grease up the heater and the hole with the silicone grease supplied with the heater. Good luck because you will now are going to try to line up the heater with the hole you cannot see holding this greasy piece of 4 inch metal. I first tried plugging the power cord into the heater before sliding the heater into the hole but the cord is so stiff that it makes the whole operation unweilding. I finally took off the power cord and plugged in the heater first. I also wiped the grease off the heater so I could hold it without it slipping out of my fingers. Did I mention there is no real working space where the heater has to go? I ended up with multiple bloody scratches on the back of my hand. With a lot of luck the job could take thirty minutes. I took three hours. The instructions made no sense to me on how to run the plug to the front of the car. I ended up running it thru the hole for the hood latch and tying the plug to a license plate hole.

6. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't worry Arrallen, the next few you do will be easier :rolleyes: .

Wayne

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carlisle @ Oct 11 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]331522[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like the heater for the pre-2G Prius is quite a bit different than the one for the the '04+. There's no loop, just a core that inserts in a hole and plugs in...it directly heats the block, not the coolant.

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Classic Prius block heater is the same as the 2G Prius, only the cord end is different. Carlisle, apparently not familiar, is refering to a normal freeze plug type block heater.

Wayne

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are two Block heaters out there. One for the 04 and below and the other for above. The one for the 04 and above slides into the block with some heat coupling gel. On the ealier Prii it, as I undrestand fits into a bracket and heats the Engine Comparment?

10. mikel 52

mikel 52 Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    The block heaters for the classic and the newer Prius are the same with the exception of the length of the cord and the newer ones have a slightly different connector where the cord plugs into the heater.

Mike

11. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    EDIT: Nevermind. It's amazing what just one second more searching did.

I am confused. Will someone post a picture of the block heater for a 2006 car, where to put it (yes, tempting, but let it go), and a part number for such an item. I have read several threads about freeze plugs and one that said it just plugs into the block. Will someone provide clarification?

Thanks,

Chris

12. mikel 52

mikel 52 Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
  13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Nov 15 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]349666[/snapback]</div>
    It slides into a cavity in the block. Have a read though the other block heater topic on this forum. Ken@japan posted a picture of the block showing where it goes.

14. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you. Just after I posted my question, I found a monster thread about block heaters. After reading all 340ish posts, I was convinced that the block heater was in three different positions during my reading of the thread. I went back and read the first post and stopped. It made sense. I will wait until I receive it and give it a go.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps this set of pages will inspire some more
    people to buy and install the heaters. More details under that other
    long-running "i figured out how to install my block heater" thread.
    _H*

16. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks _H*; crystal clear. I emailed Jesse for his latest group buy.

Chris

Are you passing through in December?