1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth - voice dialing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by williab, Aug 23, 2007.

1. williab

williab New Member

Just picked up my 2007 blue Prius pkg 3 - so far so good - even was able to pair my phone to the Bluetooth - even was able to put in 3 numbers in the phone book - however, neither the dealer nor myself can figure out how to voice activate calling without using the screen or speed dial - possible??????? will need snow tires in my area, anyone have preferences ???????? - I have enjoyed the chat for 2 weeks now and all of you helped me make the decision to go for it - thanks and I am looking forward to future chats

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Voice dialing is a little silly.. you have to record a spoken name for each contact you want to be able to voice dial, and then use the "Dial by name" voice command.

It's in the manual, so that should help you along, but it's a little clunky, especially when some phones (like mine) have better voice recognition built in that can't be accessed through the car's BT. :rolleyes:

3. williab

williab New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 23 2007, 02:55 PM) [snapback]501135[/snapback]</div>

You are right, does seem a little silly - read the manual - like russian to me - I am not good with tech - so, if you cannot use the touchscreens while driving, how do you make a call ????

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pie r sqd @ Aug 23 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]501334[/snapback]</div>
    The other poster just told you: use the "dial-by-name" command. You push the voice command button on the steering wheel and Jill will prompt you. Say "dial-by-name". She will prompt you to say the contact's name, which is the name that you previously recorded for that contact. Say that name, which will activate the corresponding phone book entry. Press the off-hook button on the steering wheel to dial.

Tom

5. mgipe

mgipe New Member

You can also "dial by number" if you want to call someone who is not already entered into the address book.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you add numbers from the phone book to the three pages of speed-dial numbers, you can dial those numbers with one touch while the car is moving. When in motion, the number disappears but the name remains visible. If you need to have more than three pages of speed-dial numbers, record some names so you can Dial By Name.

7. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another way of dialing is to just dial from your phone keypad.

8. jarrett_gorin

jarrett_gorin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Aug 31 2007, 09:35 AM) [snapback]504947[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. Exactly what I am forced to do on many occasions. Using your voice to "dial by number" takes about 5 times as long as dialing the keypad, and as a result, it distracts you from devoting your attention 100% to driving for 5 times as long. So, I just use the tiny keys on my BlackBerry 8800 which I have mounted in a sturdy easy-to-reach location next to my MFD using a Panavise In-Dash bracket and Pro-Clip device holder.

Of course, it would be MUCH safer to be able to punch in numbers via the HUGE buttons on the MFD. But Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, decided to grey those out, obviously, to keep us safe ;)

Is it apparent that I think this particular "safety" feature of the Prius is idiotic? To clear up any gray area, yes, I do think this is idiotic.

9. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've tried voice dialing and the phone adds zeroes and ignors me. I've tried speaking slower, faster, louder: but to no avail.

Someday I'll take the time to program my Prius memory but until I've got some time I'll be happy with receiving calls and speed dialing my actual phone.

The Bluetooth interface does need work.

10. spatton

spatton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How do you actually USE voice tags??

I've got a week-old 2010 III with nav. I've seen lots of chat about setting up voice tags, and have been successful doing so myself (in spite of NO mention in the manual). But what's the point?? I've discovered I can use voice commands to call ANY of the contacts I transferred from my cell (pretty cool), so I figured Tags were some sort of voice activated speed dial that would avoid the five or six step process otherwise required. But I've been unable to find any procedure that will actually make use of the tags I've recorded. What am I missing? (I do have several contacts set up in the on-screen speed dial system, but again, can find no association with that system and the Tag deal.) So again, my question: Once tags are recorded and in the "system," how do you actually USE them?