1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bob Schieffer (CBS): "Face The Nation"

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, May 28, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So this morning I'm driving into work catching upon on the Sunday political broadcasts and it was time for "Face The Nation." The moderator, Bob Schieffer, a Texan, is fairly conservative so I was surprised when the last half hour of his broadcast was a panel of weather and climate experts. I get my podcasts via normal podcast players so I don't have the URL. But I suspect anyone interested could find it.

This goes along with what I'd mentioned in another posting . . . lay people (and I'm one) are going to form an opinion regardless of the somewhat reticent scientific community would like. We know "stuff happens" is about as good of an explanation for severe weather but 'You Don't Need A Weatherman To Know Which Way The Wind Blows.' - Bob Dylan.

Bob Wilson

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    These so called "personal responsibility" and libertarian conservatives, also, complain that the Federal Government controls too much of their lives.

Who do you think they call for in a disaster?

What do you call these individuals?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some I call relatives and others neighbor. It has been a long, long time since I've ever expected consistency in others . . . I think it was kinder garden but I knew some of my relatives before then . . . just I hadn't figured out the concept of 'consistency' pre-school.

Bob Wilson

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Texas proudly declares that they have fewer regulations and is good for business.

I remember, when I lived in Houston, there were no zoning codes.

It was like West, Texas.

They could put a biological waste or a toxic waste recycling plant right next to a child day care, if they wanted to.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bob, if you're a 'lay person' re cc, most americans (including me) are completely clueless. :cool:

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

The 10-20-70 rule.

10% of the population makes things happen
    20% of the population watches things happen
    70% of the population wonders what's happening

Merkey, bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike,

Houston is a city with it's own charter and decided on it's own to not have zoning codes. The State of Texas does not require a city to have zoning codes, nor does it prohibit a city from having zoning codes. Another example of a Texas city, Austin, has zoning codes.

BTW, Texas is booming economically.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    by driving a prius, and other types of energy conservation, i choose to err on the side of caution. but i have no opinion on climate change. most people probably do though.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...or fertilizer plant unfort

10. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just got back from Houston. I also figured out they don't manage traffic either.

xs650 likes this.
  11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't exactly call him a conservative, he runs a political broadcast for a network. These folks naturally have to sensationalize things, even the weather. Schieffer seems pretty old school, which means he doesn't appear like he will push things far one way or the other. I would say if you want to learn about the science of climate, the sunday morning political shows are likely not a good place for it;)

Yes Houston zoning is a mess. Its not a texas thing though, its a houston/dallas thing. Austin has fairly firm zoning.

I think you mean the fertilizer plant in the small town of West, which happens to be more in the central part of texas named after a guy named west. It was a very tragic thing. IIRC west has about 3000 residents, and these small towns pretty much do whatever they want. Dangerous facilities like fertilizer plants, chemical plants, and refineries need to be more heavily regulated. Many of us texans don't agree with the current level of safety. The worst facility, the BP refinery in Texas city, was sold, and appears much safer under new management.

Most of the regulations I left in california, texas is better off without. Even with those regulations there are tragedies. Safety in these hazardous plants though need a firmer hand.