1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BOTH headlights out...?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Skoorbmax, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My car has 41k on it and I drove it up to the street tonight and realized both headlights are out. All I have are the tiny little white bulbs on that have enough power to show the car coming, but definitely the main headlights are out and I can't see the road. The high beams are fine.

I turned the car on and off twice, including twisting the light knob in all positions back and forth. At times I am mentally delayed and so asked my wife to confirm that indeed both bulbs are out, and they are.

I searched this, but didn't see a thread. Is this a known issue or something, perhaps a fuse? Having two bulbs go out at the same time due to age just doesn't seem plausible to me.

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It could happen, but maybe there is a short or a blown fuse. I would start with the fuse.

3. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have the halogen bulb or HID. For HID this should be too early for halogen bulb stock. About right !! but both at the same time ?? That is just suspicious. The above suggestion to check the fuse is a good idea.

Also this is the low-beam right ?? High-beam is rarely used by me.

My halogen bulb on the passenger side just went out about 39750 miles... I just replaced both (they were fading in any case .. which is the sure sign of aging).

The bulbs are user replaceable however the passenger side is little harder. Check the the thread no this forum....

4. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got whatever is on the Prius II, base model. I think that's Halogen.

I checked fuses and the ones I could find all seemed good, so I'll replace the bulb with the cheapest crap I can find from autozone (lease up in March anyway) :).

This is the low-beam.

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Gen3 Prius is only offered with either halogen (package 1-4) or LED (package 5) headlights. HIDs were never offered.

Each headlight has it own fuse. Do there are 2 fuses for the low beams.

Here's a thought.......could 1 of the low beams already of been burnt out & when the 2nd u just assumed that they both went out at the same time?

Do u keep ur headlights on during the day? This will cause the bulbs to fail a lot sooner than designed.

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah they're on all the darn time :D I cannot remember the last time I drove at night honestly, so they may have burned out any time between now and some months back :cool:

7. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Halogen lights are finicky... If one blows, the other follows shortly... That's why you have to replace both at the same time... I know the particular lamps that the Prius use do not last long... I have to change my bulbs every year, they burn out at 200 hours of use or so...

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is because most Prius owners just leave the headlight on all the time......day & night.

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well it appears both were indeed burned out. Instead of $33/bulb from the local stealership I went with rockauto's $6 bulbs. No idea how they compare, but $33 is crazy.

Whole procedure was easy as long as I followed the recommendation in one of the threads to remove the two hex bolts on the coolant reservoir for passenger side. Also twisting them back in was easy only after pulling the rubber grommet back. Kind of thing that could be done in 5 minutes the second time for both bulbs.

10. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad to hear it was a quick & cheap fix.......now just keep the headlights of during the day & the bulbs should last awhile.

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Problem is then I'll forget to turn them on in the dark. I don't know why the car doesn't have auto lights :(

12. 50324prius

50324prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Auto li
    Auto lights could be a seemingly simple, safety related addition, but for 2011 and earlier it is an additional cost. 2012 have the advantage of LED daytime running lights. I wish there was an OEM LED option available to add to my 2011.

13. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For what it's worth, my son and I had this problem this last weekend on his 2002 Civic sedan. We hauled out the shop manual and looked. Checked fuses first, of course, and they were fine.

On that car, the circuit is such that the light switch in the car activates a relay that has one leg connected to the battery. The other leg goes to both the high and low beams, through separate fuses for the high beams (both left and right) and low beams (both left and right).

Then came the surprising part. The bottom legs of the two low beams were connected together to a single wire, same for the high beams. Those two wires then went straight to the switch physically connected to the stalk on the steering wheel column. Whether you got high beams or low beams depended only upon whether the low beam wire was connected to ground through that switch or the high beam wire was connected to ground through that switch.

Careful measurement with an ohmmeter revealed that the switch, itself, was a goner.

On a Sunday, no less, found a Honda dealer in Staten Island whose parts department was (a) open and (b) had the switch/stalk assembly in stock. $60 bucks later and a ride back and forth resulted in working low beams.

It all looks very standard. The one oddball bit was that the shop manual showed two relays in the under-hood relay panel, one for left bulbs, one for rights, but the actual car had a single relay for both. I have to imagine that the Prius wiring isn't much different, unless you've got HID bulbs or something.

So: This could have easily happened to you. How comfortable are you with an ohmmeter? You could check the resistance of the bulb contact in the front of the car to ground as somebody manipulated that switch. Preferably with the high and low beam fuses pulled and the plugs pulled off the bulbs.

And if the top side going to the battery is suspect, put your meter into "volt" mode, disconnect the headlight connectors, and verify that with the lights on, there's 12V to the high side connector in the plug to ground on both sides. And this should move around to the brights when they're turned on. If you got something missing up there then you've either got a bad fuse or relay.

Somebody want to send this guy a copy of the wiring from the shop manual?

KBeck

14. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  15. Gary Greenberg

Gary Greenberg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both my low-beams (only) went out (or were detected out) at same time. Replacing bulbs isn't impossible but a challenge. Surely the 1st to work shows you it's not the switch, wiring, relay or fuse (are there REALLY 4 different fuses for each light, and a 5th for the system?)

Add'l:
    - Bulb re-inserts with middle prong on top
    - Reassembly of rubber weather protection occurs AFTER putting (& testing) the bulb. You then need to wiggle / arrange the hole to accommodate all 3 contact points, thru the hole. Since they're invisible & you have only fingertip mobility, prepare a few cursewords ahead.
    - I've had to replace the low-level light (& of course the whole bulb) 2x this year, on both sides. Does anybody have suggestions as to longevity options for these replacements?

16. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't keep ur headlights on during the day......it shorten their life span.

Don't touch the bulb while replacing them. This can also shorten the life span

17. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Everytime when one of my bulbs die, the other one follows shortly thereafter... I always have to replace both when one dies... My bulbs fail after six months of use.. But I drive mainly at night, 2 hours a day...

18. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you check the Gen III mods forum, you can modify your 2010 Prius to activate the automatic headlight feature. I've done it, and perhaps the best feature is the auto dashboard light level feature that also gets activated.

19. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both of my low-beams were burned out this morning :mad:. Yesterday, it was all fine. Got two new bulbs and all is good again. Surprised that both headlights burned out at the exact same time......(n)

20. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

U must be having a bad day