1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Calipers Noise??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Oakmont, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Oakmont

Oakmont New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my several month old Prius II has developed a metal on metal sound when I'm hitting various road bumps.. it's a "clack" sound eminating from my wheel well area that is heard when the windows are down.. I've taken it in twice and the first time they couldnt figure it out... second time they said they drove mine and a brand new Prius which also has the same sound and said it was the brake calipers. Funny thing is, I never heard this noise until after about 2k miles on my car..

They also would NOT disable my reverse beep sound or seat belt beep saying it was a safety feature and shouldnt be disabled.

Anyone else have this noise on their Prius?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fortunately I haven't had any brake noises but here is another topic on the subject: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/81825-2010-brake-noise-resolved.html

Find another dealer to disable the beeps, they are definitely not a safety item, Toyota would not have listed them in the owner's manual as customizable features if they were. Tell the dealer you will consider this when you get ready to buy your next car.

Another option is to do it your self with a ScanGauge: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...discussion/64406-scangaugeii-work-2010-a.html it is a long thread but it tells you how to disable both seat belt and reverse beeper and much more if you are so inclined.

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    BS about the reverse beep...they changed mine to single beep without a fuss and at no charge. Don't have the brake noise, but like posted above the shims probably need lubing.

4. 310dutchboy

310dutchboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello all, I just purchased the Prius IV in April and started hearing the same clacking noise... Took it to the dealer today and called me a few hours later that they could not duplicate the noise... Went back and drove out with a technician and yep they heard the noise, but can't figure it out... Car stayed overnight, hope they can fix the issue....

5. Oakmont

Oakmont New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if your dealer can figure it out please pass along their findings... i don't have any confidence in North Hills Toyota in Pittsburgh!

6. 310dutchboy

310dutchboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, got the car back yesterday and they found that the brake pads had too much play and not lubricated causing the clanking sound.... Although whatever they did fixed the problem I'm not too confident that it's a long term fix.... I guess I'll have to see, I'll keep all of you posted...

7. Oakmont

Oakmont New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wonder if I should call my dealer and have them perform the same fix... this would be the third visit for this problem if I did.

8. 310dutchboy

310dutchboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would if the problem is still occurring, it won't hurt...

9. liteguy

liteguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep I also have noise coming from my brakes. When I hit bumps with the brakes just slightly applied the brakes do not rattle. So it is loose calipers. My noise is mostly from the back drivers side and I only here them when the windows are down. I was planning on having the dealer work on them during my 5000 mile service. I only have 3000 miles as of today.

liteguy

10. dreamyip

dreamyip New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have about 2200 miles on my Prius, I started hearing this noise few days ago. I am planning to tell the dealer when I bring it in for the 5K service.

11. stayingfocused

stayingfocused New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had this problem, too. The noise, like two metal wrenches clanking together when I go over bumps, was present from the beginning. Last Thursday I drove around the dealership's neighborhood to find some bumps on a quiet street so that the service guy who would come for a drive with me would hear the noise. He did. He got on his phone and talked to some other dude at the corporate office who told him about the caliper issue. Good news: I know what the problems is; bad news: they can't do anything about it right now. Dan (service guy) predicts Toyota will come up with a fix as more and more Prius owners complain about it. Hope so.

12. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I too have the clacking noise over bumps - seems to be from the front , but hard to tell . March 2010 build.

13. oonix

oonix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At about 3500 miles I started hearing a clicking noise upon pressing and releasing the brake pedal. It sounds like plucking a stretched rubberband. At about 4000 miles, this noise turned into a clicking, crunching and hissing noise. Pressing on the brake felt unusual as well. I took it to the dealer last week (Springfield, VA) and the technician said that the slide pins need lubrication. She was correct.. that solved the problem... at least until yesterday when the clicking noise returned. I expect the crunching and hissing noises to return pretty soon.

This is what my online service record says:
    BRAKE SYSTEM "BRAKE SYSTEM ~|~CHECK CRUNCHING NOISE WHEN BRAKING. ~|~BOTH LOWER CALIPER SLIDE PINS STICKING. LACK OF LUBRICATION. ~|~LUBRICATED SLIDE PINS AND CONFIRMED REPAIR. 473991 = 0.9" WARRANTY PAY

Please post if anyone has come across a permanent solution, thanks!

14. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I also have the clack noise when hitting a bump but mine is predominately the right front caliper. No biggie but it is a bit irritating.

15. Oakmont

Oakmont New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this noise is very embarrassing to be honest... I had several colleagues riding with me and one commented that the car sounded like it had something loose... I had to explain the loud metallic rattle on every bump was "normal"...

16. Fussion101

Fussion101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmm...I always thought that embarrassing clanking came from the wheel covers hitting the actual wheel over potholes.

I also get the metal clicking noise when braking at low speeds. It's coming from the rear driver side. **not the relay clicking from the brake pedal**

If these are not a safety issue then I'll just ignore it until a specific tsb comes out for them.

17. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I was going crazy, been hearing this noise too. *Sigh* yet another issue to add to the list for 2010 Prius.

18. Chad's Dad

Chad's Dad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the same clicking noise from the calipers. I have a nice hypermile route that I take to work. The only problem some spots are filled with potholes, of course potholes stretch from one end of Ohio to the other. In a couple areas, that noise would raise the dead.

I printed this and Tom's linked thread, and took them with me to the dealer on Saturday for my 5000 mile service. They lubricated the brake caliper shims, no charge.

Today, no more noise. Problem solved. Thanks fellow members.

19. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got the "Clack" too .... also the squeak noise when the brakes are dead cold for the first minute or so.

In my experience, it all points to the pads. I haven't looked at the Prius brakes up close, but there are usually little metal springs that keep the pads in place I would bet they are just not strong enough or defective, so when you hit big bumps the pads slap around a little. It won't hurt anything, but it does sound "ghetto."

My squeaking has gone away but I know it will be back .... it seems to go away if I do mountain driving where the brakes gets used a lot. (Which I recently did.) Seems like after a couple hundred miles of normal city driving (which uses mostly regen) it comes back.

Most likely the shims are bad......

I bet there will be a TSB with revised shims and clips for the pads in the future to address both of these issues.

20. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Took mine in for 5,000 maintenance, specifically requested they lube the slides and shims.. Dealer said they were fine... Right.... Any TSB on the subject?? Anybody do a DIY that worked? Thanks. Ted