1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake creak and part numbers needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jaybreal, Nov 15, 2014.

1. jaybreal

jaybreal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guy's. I'm new to the forum :). I have a toyota prius 2008 T-sprit UK model. I have searched the forum. done a full service on my pruis today. found out my front brake pad's are very warn, need replacing asap. my NSF Brake has been creaking, for the last three day's. when i'm coming to a stop or when I'm parked up, I have found a post from a prius owner. (He changed the pad's, & that cured it. so are give that ago.

When i last changed my pad's, all the warning lights came on the dash. So needed to take it to the dealer. (did'nt disconnect battery or ABS blue relay's). I will do that this time. I'm thinking about buying a Toyota Mini VCI, incase the warning lights come up again. is there a user guide on here? on how to use a Toyota Mini VCI. ( How to clear codes etc). does it work with window's 8?

Thanks Jay.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to PriusChat.

If you use google to search the forum you will find you get better results. If you try:

"site:http [colon] //priuschat [dot] com/ Change front brake pads Gen II" (without the quotes and substitute the square brackets)

That will yield quite a few results, one of which should be helpful to you.

By NSF, I take it you mean near side front, so that is the RH side front as you sit in the driver's seat looking forward, correct? The creaking noise is probably from the "brake pad low" indicator, so changing the pads is the correct remedial action.

If you intend to do any work on your Prius, investing in Mini VCI, is a very cost effective move and will pay for itself many times over. As far as I know, no one has done a how to tutorial for Techstream here on PC, but once you have it installed on your computer, you should be able to find your way around the basics quite easily. The key would be if you don't know what something is, or option does, leave it alone. :D

I've heard it can work with Windows 8, but it is quite a lot more tricky to install as the Mini VCI drivers are 32-bit, so it is best to set up a Win XP or Win 7 32-bit VM (which I believe is a feature of Win 7 & 8) and install there.

Have a look over here on the Tundra forum at this post: Techstream ABCs and 123s: Reference point for all new users for some helpful info about setting up Mini VCI.

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

#2 dolj, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! second pad replacement, how many miles on her?

4. jaybreal

jaybreal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guy's for the quick reply. I run my own taxi company, so she is my taxi. only changed my pad's about 5 month's ago. but i do clock up alot of mile's.

32,000 miles in four month's :) best car i have ever had, so pleased with it.

5. jaybreal

jaybreal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hi Guys

i'm after front oem brake pad's? (part number)

For a toyota prius 2008 uk model.

kind regard's