1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Fluid 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Johnnu, May 29, 2014.

1. Johnnu

Johnnu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can someone tell me how to add brake fluid to my 2010 Prius? The cap doesn't seem to unscrew like normal cars and I don't want to force anything..... Found nothing in the Search box. THANKS, John

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Unless you've got a leak, or you're doing your own brake bleeding, ie: you're just thinking to top up because the fluid's dropped a bit: I'd leave it alone. Brake fluid level in the reserve drops as brake pads wear. Typically by the time the pads are near minimum thickness the fluid level will be near the low mark. And when new pads are installed, and the pistons pushed back to accommodate the increased thickness, the level will go back up to the top mark. If you've filled in the interim, you'll need to baste out that added fluid.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Johnnu

Johnnu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I must have had a huge brain fart because you both are right on the money and I KNOW THAT.... Guess I'm just getting old and forgetting a lot of what I learned over the past 70 years. I did find how to open that stupid cap after lifting that flap that covers the whole mess. I'm sure the Toy engineers are a LOT smarter than me, but between that stupid flap and the whole process for changing spark plugs one has to wonder what they were thinking (unless, of course, they were thinking REVENUE to the STEALERSHIPS). In summary, I will indeed leave that fluid alone and hopefully sell the car just before it needs brakes and the big battery starts to go. THANKS MUCH, J

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never add brake fluid! Never replace it either. It doesn't ever wear out. Unless you have a leak, it's a closed system. If it's low it's probably because you need brakes. It gets low because they are hydraulic and the fluid takes the place of the space needed to fill the lines when the calipers move in. If you add it them squeeze back the calipers during brake replacement, it comes out of the reservoir and runs down the engine area.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Like the first sentence. Not so much the second: even Toyota is saying to replace brake fluid now, tri-yearly, as evidenced by the 2014 prius warranty and maintenance booklet.

7. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless there's a leak you should never add brake fluid, it serves as a indicator on how much pads are left, and sometimes the brake pump will burp excess fluid out to the tank this can cause spillage.

You should replace fluids every 2 years, brake fluids are hygroscopic which means water absorbing, no matter how tight the lid is on moisture will eventually creep in and begin to contaminate the fluid, as flushing i think that is very important, brake fluid will break down as it goes to its heat cycles ie using brakes, these brake down will reduce its resistance to heat and will contribute to poor braking performance in the long run.

ASRDogman likes this.
  8. Glee217

Glee217 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi there, I am not sure if the “maintenance and warranty” booklet that came with my 2014 prius says anything about Brake Fluid change lol can you pinpoint me? Thanks

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Apologies, I should have clarified: it's Toyota Canada that started saying to periodically change brake fluid. Toyota USA still says nothing on the subject.

That difference in itself is disconcerting. What it says to me is that with such divergent policies, it pays to research it, decide for yourself.

FWIW, the 3rd gen Repair Manual has a couple of instructions: one with and one without Techstream.