1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Fluid at 60k? Maintenance Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheNewGuy8, Apr 10, 2012.

1. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I've been researching all morning about what I will get done for my 60k checkup (I'm actually at 65k).

Main question: Should I get the brake fluid changed?

I'll do the normal oil change, tire rotation/alignment, inspection stuff. Then I'll have the transaxle fluid changed, and the PCV valve replaced. I'll probably also replace wipers.

The shop I go to also suggested the engine coolants be changed, which I'm going to hold off on after reading about it. They also said Brake Fluid change. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether or not that's necessary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I should add its a 2006 Prius that hasn't had any problems but I have been noticing some odd brake behavior recently.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 2004 at 220,000 miles is still on the original brake fluid. I say pass on that until much later.

I waited till 100k miles for the PCV Valve (along with the coolant loops -2 and the Plugs).

Changing out the ATF is a good idea. I've done it three times now.

JeffD

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Brake goes bad primarily due to humidity, since USA is a bit vague, humidity ranging from Death Valley to Honolulu, it is hard to guess the best advice.

I would change every 2 years in a high humidity climate, and never in Death Valley. Here in MS, I expect to change at 4 years.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This shop that you go to, have they in hand a Toyota factory level scan tool? If not, then they should not be suggesting engine coolant and brake fluid changes. Neither of these are things that you need to do at 60K anyway.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would do brake flush and engine/inverter coolants at 60k, but then my middle name should be overkill. You can do the coolant service without Techstream as you can cycle the inverter pump by turning the car on/off. The engine coolant loop is a bit harder to bleed without tech stream but I believe someone on this forum showed a way to activate the pump by jumping some of the wires.

For the brake flush you do need Techstream, but I would not be surprised if some high-end aftermarket scan tools now have the capability to handle this. Ask the shop how they plan to do the brake flush on the Prius and you should know from their answer, if they are familiar with the procedure.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  8. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    as with most prius owners you probably rarely use the conventional hydraulic brakes, instead you use regenerative braking most of the time, most get 150K miles from the pads, some get that much out of the rotors (maybe in death valley) but rotors are made out of iron and they begin rusting the moment they are cleaned and installed. I just changed my rotors at 51K miles (2004) because the rust had made it "over the top" and made contact with the pads, causing weird noises and vibrations, I am told this causes heat and premature pad wear, I changed my rotors with cheap ones from advance auto, I also lubed the caliper slides and cleaned out the rear drums of trapped brake dust.

I hope you already changed your transaxle fluid (simple drain and fill with toyota ATF world standard), the first one should be done at 30-40K with subsequent ones every 60-70K miles thereafter.