1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Groan Returns.....

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prevee5, Mar 5, 2015.

1. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Now that we've finally received some measurable rain. (Sorry....I'm in Southern California), my brake groan has returned. Had the car's TSB for the brakes performed about 18 months ago. Been groan free until the weather got cold and damp this past week.

Question: Should I have the car serviced again at the dealer? Is there a true permanent fix for this problem?

I have about 33,000 on the odometer so time is running out.

Please give me your thoughts.
    Thanks!

2012 Prius v, Model 5, non-ATP

2. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this condition was revised on Jan 28, 2014.
    The original version of this TSB called for resurfacing the rear brake rotors as part of the repair.
    The latest revision calls for replacement of both rear brake rotors with countermeasure parts. These new rotors have a specific finish to address this condition.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting. Sounds like a reverse of the Gen2 problem w/ rust.

Gen2's had issue with rust on the front brake rotors due to minimal use from every day driving. Some users found that getting up to speed (say 40MPH), putting the car into NEUTRAL, and applying the brake (this forces the car to use hydraulic braking, engaging the pads onto the rotor), would clear the rotors of rust. Obviously one would need to perform this safely.

Maybe forcing the friction brakes to engage the rotors (front and rear) every so often will help? Worth a try if you are out of warranty.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Do some folks really enjoy being at the dealer this much? An occasional groan after damp weather is something you can't live with?

5. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, I can probably live with it but since my dealership is one of the best in the country, it's not so bad. (Free food, drinks, wi-fi, ipads, computers, etc, etc.) And they'll give me a ride home and pick me up.
    And, since it's still under warranty, why not?

6. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Would you happen to have the TSB number to the Revised repair protocol? Or a link to it? I can only find the old one.
    Thanks!

7. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    TSB number has not changed, only the contents.
    T-SB-0081-13 Rev2

8. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks a bunch for the info. I might as well catch this thing while still under warranty. Really not a fan of sounding like a school bus with squeaky brakes every morning. Will pay the dealer a visit next week......wish me luck!!

9. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Would you happen to know where to get a copy of the Rev2 TSB for the brake groan? Makes it so much easier approaching the service guys with TSB in hand!
    (Sorry to be such a pest)

10. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If its anything like when my brakes were groaning, which was loud enough to wake the neighborhood in the early mornings then yes it's worth it. This wasn't just a small groan that you could get used to. Thankfully it hasn't been a problem for the last two years on my end.