1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 72fordgts, Apr 1, 2012.

1. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks for the info guys. I have already decided not to attempt the bleed my self. I found another dealer that will replace the fluid for one hours labour, still highway robbery in my opinion, but I'd be willing to pay that. I still would like to at minimum lube the caliper sliders. I already inspected my brakes and I know we have tons of pad left front and rear.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To bleed the brakes properly 1hrs labour to me sounds a good deal as at some stages it requires two people and is quite a complex process. See PDF below this is for gen2 but gen3 will be much the same.

If you are doing brake maintenance on the Prius it is essential to disconnect the 12v battery as a minimum and wait at leased 2minuets for the capacitors to discharge and I would remove the relays to be on the safe side it only takes 2minuets.

Attached Files:

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It will probably take closer to an hour, it is nothing like a conventional car.

4. Johnnu

Johnnu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Guys....I'm an old geezer and just thought I'd pass on some old geezer information (totally based on experience and NO KNOWLEDGE BASE) about hydroscopic brake fluid. I sold a 1962 Corvette back in 2007.......I bought it new and NEVER changed the brake fluid until the car was about 35 years old and I needed to replace ONE of the original wheel cylinders. This was a car that never heard of stainless steel anything except trim. Never had a problem with my brakes in 103,000 miles and this car was street raced as a young person (me) and driven very hard the first 20 years of it's life. It was also kept garaged and often spent months sitting idle. All the other cars I've owned have been jap cars and have never had brake fluid changes EVER....some were as old as 12 yrs before selling.....no probs./lots of miles on them. I'm as anal as the next guy, but some things are best left alone in my humble, unknowledgeable opinion.
    John N.

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I understand it, the degradation of the fluid gradually lowers its boiling point. If you're a 9/10's sort of driver and/or drive in heavy terrain that leaves you with hot brakes, changing out the brake fluid probably makes a lot of sense. For my situation, not as much, though I do sometimes notice a firmer pedal once I've changed the stuff out.
    I worked for a brake company that supplied American and European manufacturers. The Germans required a 2 year brake fluid change and the Americans never even brought it up. The parts used in their brake systems were identical. Arguably, the driving environment is more demanding in Germany than in the States, but the brake components are no more or less sensitive to fluid degradation.

- Chris

GG707 likes this.