1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Pad Change Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Metrolens, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all - I was advised by my non-dealership mechanic that it was soon time to change the brake pads on my 2005 Gen II. He said the front pads were at 30%. I was quoted 175 to do the front pads (total, parts and labor, using dealer pads).

Anything I should know before I do this?
    Are there rear pads as well that might need changing? (I don't know this but should).

#1 Metrolens, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $175 doesn't seem too out of line, especially if they're conscientious: they should clean up and relube the caliper pins while they're at it, you might ask about that. If the caliper pins dry out the caliper will not be able to shift laterally, it leads to all sorts of problems, asymmetrical pad wear, poor braking.

The rears are drum brakes I think. In my experience drum brake shoes tend to last longer. They still should be looked at periodically. The main thing is to lubricate the points of contact between the shoes and the backing plate, typically 3 points per shoe.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius brake pads wear at such a low rate that you may be good for a while yet. How many miles?
    If you do have the job done, here is what you would see. Take note of the first instruction.
    Brake service

4. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you both.
    My car has almost exactly 75,000 miles. I don't notice any degradation of the braking since I bought the car (with 60k miles). Is there any kind of electronic warning the car gives when it's time to change the brake pads, or must this be determined by eye?

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No warning, you have to look. Brake pads can go over 100K in many cases, but YMMV.

6. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again. Does the tire/wheel need to be removed to determine the wear? Or can the wear be determined just by looking at the wheel while it's on? The mechanic tried to show me my worn front pads while the wheels were mounted... but I still couldn't really understand what he was telling me to look at.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's near impossible to see with the wheels on. With it off, you can see the outer pad thickness pretty clearly, and to see both there's typically an opening in the caliper, you can see edge-on view of both inner and outer, on either side of the disk. I think 1 mm is minimum, but if it's 3 mm or less I'd say it's time.

If you look in the maintenance schedule, regular brake inspections are mandated. This is not something to ignore for years. ;)

8. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again. The mechanic didn't take the wheel off to make his 30% determination; he said the front brakes needed changing during an oil change. Is this of concern?

If the 30% lasts another 30k miles (and is safe!) then I'd just as soon wait to have it done.

9. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The mechanic needs to tell you how many mm is left. Not percentage. It actually takes longer for him to calculate a percentage than to just tell you the measurement in mm.

iPod touch ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, good to know.