1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Pads Wear According to the Dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hhanna04, Jun 28, 2015.

1. hhanna04

hhanna04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I took my 2014 Prius into the dealer last week for its 10k service. The mileage was actually at about 9,800, but I needed to take it in prior to a road trip. I compared my multi-point inspection reports from the 5k service and 10k service, and according to the dealer my brakes have worn from 12mm to 9mm.

I found this a bit concerning considering my daily commute is about 36 miles round trip with about 8 miles of that in actual "stop and go" traffic lights. The majority of the time is spent on the freeway, using my cruise control. My foot does not rest on the brakes, rather I use the intended foot rest the left. I live in Southern California, but my normal commute daily does not have me going up and down steep inclines (grades), where frequent braking would be needed. This happens occasionally (once per week or less). Overall, I'm a fairly conservative driver, by no means a "hyper-miler", but I do try when possible to glide to red lights or take my foot off the gas when approaching slowing traffic.

You can imagine my surprise to find my brakes were not at 12mm or 11mm. I know they are still "like new" at 9mm, and I may just be concerned over nothing. When I inquired with the dealer over my concern, the service advisor said it was normal and brakes are often replaced every 30-35k. At a rate of 3mm every 5k, I'm sure they will suggest the brake pads be replaced at or before 30k. The advisor did offer a free brake check in a month or two to compare wear. While brakes pad replacement varies from driver to driver, I know many Prius drivers have cited triple digit mileage before maintenance was necessary.

Does this seem like "normal" wear or could it be the dealer just helping move along the maintenance in accordance to their timeline (and benefit $$). Do independent mechanics usually perform a brake check for free or low cost? Or is this something I could easily check myself (I have not lift, car experience, etc)? I'd like to get a second opinion on the actual wear of the brakes to determine if the dealer is being sneaky, or if there is more brake wear occurring than I realize so that I can correct my driving habits if necessary. I appreciate any feedback!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! no, it is not normal. i would start by not going back to this clueless service advisor, he knows nothing about prius brakes.

take a wheel off yourself and measure, now is the time to start learning if your so inclined. you can use the jack that comes with the car, or go to a local mech and ask if they charge for an inspection. your pads should be like new. if not, you'll need a dealer to look for causes under warranty, that would be way too much and premature wear to say the least.

or maybe you want to call them on it, wait a few months and go back. many dealers are shady, but this is way beyond the pale. have them show you the pads while measuring. all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  3. hhanna04

hhanna04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks bisco! I appreciate your feedback. I thought it sounded a bit much for wear under my driving conditions. I'll spend some time researching how to measure the pads and what tools are needed. It seems like good info to know. I also plan to also inquire with a local mechanic (I used prior to my Prius) if this is something he would be willing to check out. I assume it's a fairly quick process to measure the brake pad wear. I never thought of asking the dealer mechanics to measure the pad wear in front of me. Have you run into resistance with this request in your experience?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't personally experienced it. on my 15,000 service, they wanted me to do a wheel alignment due to 'unusual wear'. now at 30,000, tyres still look like new.

check out member 'mendel leis k's threads, he has some great write ups and pics, and is well studied on prius brakes. most last well over 100,000 miles with just a little preventative maintenance due to regen.

iirc, someone here had the brake pad issue with a dealer, and when he asked them to show him, they said they must have mismeasured or something.

5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Assuming no mechanical defects your break pads should be good for 200,000 to 400,000 miles on a Prius. I'm nearing 150,000 miles on mine and haven't touched them, so much pad left I didn't bother to measure.

hhanna04 likes this.
  6. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    Original Brake Pads still in good condition at 169,000 miles.
    Inspected at 105,000, 140,000, and 160,000

hhanna04 likes this.
  7. hhanna04

hhanna04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! I'll check out those threads. I should also note both the front and rear pads were BOTH noted at 9mm per the dealer. Again, it seems like the dealer technicians are leading the maintenance and disregarding of the actual wear. I'll be interested to get a second opinion and see the result. If the pads are unworn I will be letting the dealer know they were wrong, and I'm sure they will cite mismeasurement as an excuse. I'll be sure to provide an update in case others have a similar issue with their local dealer.

bisco likes this.
  8. hhanna04

hhanna04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you inspect them at those intervals or did the dealer? This definitely seems more reflective of the Prius's regen braking.

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    From the 2010 Repair Manual:

Brake Pads
    New - 10mm
    Minimum - 1 mm

I'm pretty sure the brake pads haven't changed from 2010 to 2014, so 12mm sounds like BS.
    Get a second opinion (from another dealer) and have them let you watch when they measure.

ftl likes this.
  10. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering if they actually measured the pads, or just eyeballed it and guessed the number.

I'm expecting my Prius pads to last forever, as I usually get 50-100k+ miles on a set of brakes on a normal car, assuming the calipers don't seize up from road salt and wear unevenly.

11. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My dealer uses a checklist form that starts with a brake pad thickness of 12 mm. However, I didn't take that to mean the beginning thickness for my Prius was 12 mm. All it meant to me was that they service vehicles with pads that thick. RRxing posted an excerpt that says "10" and I saw another reference saying "about 11". I don't know what the right answer is, but I wouldn't be concerned about the "9". And how fast they wear depends on a lot of variables, so YMMV.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check out the slide pins every now and again, and lube as necessary.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    New pad thickness is 10 mm on the fronts, 9.5 mm on the rears. This is what I saw, first time I checked mine, pretty easy on the brakes. They do wear, more so in stop-and-go I guess:

km: 43017
    * inspected front and rear brakes, pads disassembled and lubed, calipers pins relubed
    remaining thicknesses:
    front left outer:7.9
    front left inner:7.7
    front right outer:7.9
    front right inner:7.5
    rear left outer:7.7
    rear left inner:7.1
    rear right outer:7.2
    rear rignt inner:6.4 (quarter sized fragment brocken off at slot edge)

(Something was messed up with the rear brakes, I replaced pads/shims soon thereafter.)

Attached Files:

#13 Mendel Leisk, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  14. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've done that on occasion, and either find them either in perfect shape or already corroded and stuck. On a Ford at least, it seems to be rather binary based on whether the rubber boot that's supposed to protect the slide pin is working or not.

15. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The tech usually eyeballs these things... I had an occasion when I took the car back in less then a week (they admitted NOT rotating the tires due to the error of the service rep)... they did a courtesy inspection as well at the second time and lo and behold EACH break pads grew !!!! One was half a mm (can't even tell how they measure that really in that conditions) but one grew 2 mm ....

so those inspection are almost worthless really...

Glee217 and bisco like this.
  16. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my 10,000 mile inspection at the dealership, I was told my brake pads were down 10%. So, doing some math, I thought I'd seriously better think about replacement at around 50,000 miles. On my 15,000 inspection, my brake pads grew to being almost no wear. The agent at the dealership said I shouldn't have to worry about brake pads until maybe 100,000 miles and probably not until 150,000 miles. And since then, no mention about brake pads and I'm currently at almost 80,000. I also think they just eyeballed the measurement. Or maybe never knew what the original thickness was in the first place.

Mike

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i went to the eye doctor a few years ago, he said i was developing a cataract. i went to a new guy after that, and he says there's nothing there. 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and who knows how much training. so, i guess we have to cut the poor shmucks at toyota a break.:rolleyes:

18. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine went from 11/11/10/10 to 8/8/8/8 to 8/8/8/8 today, so who knows? Admittedly, that second 10,000 mile interval was over a few thousand miles of some very steep mountainous terrain, but my guess is it's just an eyeball estimate.

19. hhanna04

hhanna04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the replies. It's really good information know the brakes likely start off at about 10mm. I'm planning to drop by the dealer for another check in a month or so and ask to be present for the measurement. Overall, sounds like there isn't much to worry about at this point. I appreciate the help!

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, the break pads originally are 12mm in thickness out of the factory (I think).