1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes making a Squaking noise when it comes to a stop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by roger32, Mar 11, 2014.

1. roger32

roger32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I am new to the pruis forum and i have just purchase a used one 2 weeks ago. I bought it from a local dealer (Longo Toyota). After I got the car home for a day it started to make noises when i brake. If the brake pedal is depress about half way it will make a squaking noise when it comes to a stop. So i bought the car back in to the dealer and all they did was flush the system and reboted the computer. They said this is normal for some pruis to make a noise when the vechile comes to a stop and it should not be a safety concern. Can someone please chime in ...

2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Take to a different dealer for second option!

3. roger32

roger32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thats what i am thinking but i want to know if i am the only one that is having this problem

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are the brake rotors rusty? It is common for the Prius brake rotor discs to develop a thin layer of rust when they get wet and sit for a while. Then they can squeal when the brakes are applied.

SCH-I535

5. roger32

roger32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    no they werent rusty. This has been an on going issue for the last 2 weeks and i am hoping that it not somthing bad. Also i notice the breaking distant in the pruis is a lot fruther compare to other cars.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So the brakes squeal but they're not rusty. Hmmmm, you sure? Double check the rears. What miles you at? What's the parking brake condition? Does it come off totally and smoothly?

7. roger32

roger32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    it not the rotors. when i purchase the car it went thought the 130 point inspection from the dealer and brakes are good. The noise is more like thump.. thump but the dealer called it squaking. The thump noise has been driving me crazy. I suppose my best bet is to bring in to a another shop and have it checked and bring the result back to the dealer.

But on a side note do anyone else have a problem with the breaking distante being further that most cars?

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nope. The Prius can brake much sooner than most! and the emergency brake function works a treat too. Had reason to use it on Sunday when a learner driver stopped suddenly. The two or three cars in front of me stopped and me looking in my mirror turned round to find 4 stationary cars. Slammed on the anchors, the emergency brake took over and I stopped faster than I've ever stopped. More worried about the cars behind me.

So yes, a Prius can stop.

If your car is making noises on braking and takes a while to stop then I personally wouldn't drive it until it's been checked out.

You still haven't said what miles you're at.

9. roger32

roger32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    it is currently at 70000, yea i am going to have another shop look at it this weekend. Thank you all for the help

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like a rusty disc/rotor.

I wonder if the inner pad is worn out and is scraping? Or maybe the inner disc is rusted up - more likely on the rears, esp if the car has been sat.

Some owners have managed to get way over 100,000 miles out of their brakes but it depends on how the car is driven. I replaced my pads at 30,000 miles but only because I drive like I stole it.

Your car may need pads replacing, you may have a rusty or warped disc/rotor.

Get a second opinion if you're not sure.

11. lionroyal

lionroyal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the similar problem,first it started out squeaking noise when break is depressed halfway at slower speeds.Now its very loud on reverse?

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to the mad house :)

What's your mileage and whats the condition of your brake discs front and rear? Do they have any rust? Is the usual shiny part compromised in any way?

European Prius brakes are different to the US versions in that ours use softer material as apparently we prefer our brakes with more 'bite'. I had to replace my front pads at 30k miles and again at 60k. I also replaced my front discs and rear pads at that time.

So when you hear US members on here say they got 100k miles out of a set of pads, they probably did, but it's unlikely you will. They're not that expensive to replace over here either, though if you're considering DIYing it, you might want to check the correct procedure because of the computers (or something lol).

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is impossible to know whether you have a brake problem without physically inspecting the brakes. If you can't inspect them, then you have to find someone you trust to do it. The dealer has inspected them, but you don't trust them so it is either DIY or find another shop. If you don't DIY, look for another dealer or good independent shop that services brakes, not just replaces pads and rotors. By servicing brakes, I mean cleaning and lubricating the brake hardware, which is very important and likely what you need.

14. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Is the noise driectly from the rotors or are you hearing the brake assist bellows. prius do ahve a noise under breaking the sound is more a a wooden pole going threw a rubber disk, squeak or much deeper tone, then it abrupts fast. Squeaking breaks are one thing, scraping is another.

15. lionroyal

lionroyal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mileage is 27000k I took it to the dealer today found out that front left disc is building rust.cleaning has been done no more noise

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  16. roger32

roger32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well as far as i know its not the the pads or rotor, I just changed them 2 days ago but the dam noise is still there. its a stange i cant exapling beside the dealer refering to it as squakwing noise. This is driven me crazy!!!!

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you get the recall done at the same time? If you did, you'll find that it uses the friction pads more and should be unlikely to rust up as bad as they did.

You'll be due a service shortly. Check the dealers are using the 0w20 oil which is expensive but gives much better economy/mpg's, especially at the top end.

lionroyal likes this.
  18. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I find that my sister's mazda 3 (2006) stopped way better than my 2013 prius. Probably because the Mazda has bigger rotors front and back. Looking at the rotors in the prius, they are puny...but at least larger than a Honda civic's...oh well..

The sister's mazda 3 squeaked when the car was backing up...and it was brand new back then. I think any car is not immune to problems.

19. lionroyal

lionroyal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recal?i was not aware of it.can you explain Why they recaling for?i heard 0w20 is for winter but 5w30 is recommended for summer

20. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not in the UK it isn't. The 0w20 is fine for UK temps. I found the 5w30 caused hesitation in mainly town use as lots of small journeys and little engine use meant it never warmed the oil up enough. Maybe once the engine gets upto temperature like on motorway the 5w30 would be fine if you really wanted, but I prefer 0w20 as it gives the best economy. When I had 5w30 put in by mistake I couldn't average over 59 mpg - however hard I tried. Once 0w20 was put back in I could get 70+ mpg or more if driven VERY carefully.

The recall is for a major software update to do with regen braking. It appears inverters can blow under hard use (mine did last year at 70k miles) and the update reduces regen and some other issues. If you're not sure if your car has been done or not then check this link;

Recall Checker | Toyota UK