1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Braking problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eglmainz, Jun 22, 2009.

1. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I posted this on another thread myself, as it scared the crap out of me the first time. (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/63956-floating-feeling-when-braking.html)

Ever since, I am expecting this each time I brake, and see the road is uneven, yet it still make me skip a heartbeat each time it happens.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It gives me a start too, even though I understand it. It's a very unnatural feeling.

Tom

3. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    comment deleted.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Now I know what you guys are talking about. 800 miles on my car and it has happened once, yesterday. Literally had my heart in my throat. I have never felt anything like this in my gen2. I felt like the brakes suddenly went away and I had to push down pretty hard to activate them again, took quite a bit longer to slow down than I expected and I missed my turn. Fortunately no one was ahead of me.

This is definitely not the transition between regen and friction brakes we feel at about 7 mph. This is a very sudden and frightening loss of braking power.

EDIT: If there is another thread on this maybe they should be combined.

5. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Doug Coleman definetely needs to comment on this.

1 person likes this.
  6. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Doug, and the rest of "PriusTeam" are in Toyota Motor Sales Marketing Department. I would prefer they answer the markerting and promotion questions.

This would be something that I would say that if you are concerned, I would bring it to my service technician, and let them have a look at it. I think that asking anyone to make a diagnosis on something this critical based only on an online description is foolish. If you are worried, have it looked at.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know... my service department (manager) didn't even know what kind of oil the car took.:rolleyes:

8. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. That can be an issue. My point is that if someone is afraid of a potential brake failure issue, I would not be demanding and answer from a marketing executive, no matter how cool and hip me may be.

While I am far from an expert, if my brakes concerned me, rather than ask someone to diagnose from my description posted to a blog, I would have a technician look at and drive my car to diagnose it. That's all.

1 person likes this.
  9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree that "team Toyota" will not answer this kind of question. They are, as you said, marketing people and they do not answer questions that are critical of the car anyway.

The problem with going to a dealer for this kind of issue is the technician will drive it around the block, step on the brakes a couple of times, and tell you "feels fine to me, you don't have a problem". You may well be considered a chronic complainer if you persist. I know because that is exactly what I run into when I had suspension problems with my Gen2.

Might be better to report the problem to the NHSTA, if they get enough complaints they will take some action, maybe.

These kind of intermittent problems are always difficult for the owner because the technicians at the dealerships simply are not trained or motivated to find problems that only occur occasionally or only happen to a few vehicles.

10. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, once again, I agree with this too. My only point here is that they are not to answer that sort of thing, neither should anyone else, without seeing the car. However, if there were a significant issue, a technician is much more likely to see it than someone looking at a blog.

We have not even established that this is an issue. Seems that many of us on here, with some experience in the Prius all see to feel that this is not an 'issue' per say, or a problem, but rather a normal operating variance of the braking system. To the untrained (myself included the first time), the feeling of acceleration (or more accurately, decreased deceleration) is scary, but apparently not dangerous, as many would have ha collisions if this were the case in the real world. That is all I meant.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well put. I like concise, clear, and civilized language.

Thanks,
    Tom

1 person likes this.
  12. basspro

basspro New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have had my V with NAV since early June and it has happen to me about four times...and it scares the S... out of me all four times. I really hope that it does not pose a real problem besides just giving us cause to change our underware :D

13. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This is an easily reproducible phenomenon, at least in my daily commute. I have a stop sign on a downgrade that is also a bus route. The bus tears up the pavement leading to the stop sign, so there is always some kind of bump or pothole. You gotta be on the brakes to 'stop' at the sign before the bump, so almost 100% of the time I get the phenomenon.

If you're going to take it in for service, I recommend you find a similar road condition in your area where you can readily reproduce the effect.

1 person likes this.
  14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are right and this is not going to result in a loss of braking or occur at higher speed I can live with it. But as Basspro said it is pretty frightening. I think I have some idea when it might occur now and hopefully I will be prepared for it next time. I do think it is something that shouldn't happen, if it is a normal operating variance then it shouldn't be. My brakes should be predictable, of course the adrenalin rush was kind of thrilling.

15. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Exactly right.

16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You have no choice but to live with it. It's either that or sell the car. There isn't something broken on your car that can be fixed. This is just the way the Prius was designed. Perhaps a future upgrade could change the behavior, but don't hold your breath.

Tom

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, thank you, I understand it is a design problem and not a defective component. I suppose if there were an easy inexpensive fix they would have implemented it by now. I certainly have no intention of selling the car over this, I am growing quite fond of it after only a week of ownership. But as I stated previously it is a real shock when it first happens and I lost some confidence in the braking system.

18. 2010-V

2010-V Green, without envy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thank everyone for your input and advice. I am somewhat relieved to know that the problem I posted is not uncommon and that others have reacted similarly to this phenomenon.

19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is a shock when it happens, but let me tell you from experience, the Prius brakes really work when you need them. If you mash down the brake pedal, you are going to stop right now. I just about put myself through the windshield the first time a deer ran out in front of my Prius. Wow does it stop. Brake assist is a wonderful thing.

Tom

20. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very good to know, thanks Tom. I am going to test mine but I want to put some more miles on them first.