1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

break-in oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ctbering, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The more I read the more questions I have. The manufactures of some synthetic oil products recommend longer use of dino or mineral oil before switching to synthetics because of how the molecules bond to the engine parts, while other manufactures recommend a new car owner can switch to synthetic oil after 1-5k miles.
    It appears to be a significant difference when changing from mineral oil to synthetic oil, primarily the break-in shavings bonding to engine parts once synthetic oil is introduced in the engine the shavings may bond to the surfaces.
    My question: Should I change the oil (first oil change at 5 k), continue with a mineral based oil until the car reaches 10 k miles before changing over to synthetic oil?
    Royal Purple seems ok with the switch from mineral to synthetic at 5 k.
    The Castro website that I read discussed discouraged using an over-sized filter because it changes the oil flow pressure in the engine itself.
    It also states that changing 3 times per year (almost seasonally) may be better than changing it based on 5k, 10 k miles basis, etc... Some synthetic oil manufactures like AMSOIL state you can go up to 15 K between oil a nd filter changes.
    I did not change my oil in my Prius yet at 3200 mles. With other new (Toyota) cars I owned I always (break-in oil change) self-changed the oil at 500 miles and I could see the very small metal shavings. I cannot self change oil at my condo like I could when I owned a home with a garage so I depend on Toyota mechanics for this service. I saw a number of posts that stated the cylinder displacement in the newer Toyota cars was much improved and oil changing at 500 miles is the 'old school' method that served me well (engine longevity) with every car I owned. I understand about the environment issues but this is a maintenance question that I think deserves some consideration.

2. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did my first oil change and filter on my Prius at 1K miles. It was a peace of mind knowing that I've done it.

3. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Modern cars do not need an oil change after break-in period. In old times, car manufacturers used special oil formulations for break-in period. Due to much higher tolerances during manufacturing process of a modern engine, those special formulations of oil are not anymore needed. Also first oil change are scheduled to take place at first regular maintenance interval.
    Also note that unnecessary oil changes are not exactly environmental. So do not change oil just for fun. Your car will not be running any better. ;)

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Based on chemical analyses of Prius first oil changes, this is the time when the largest amount of copper and iron get transferred to the oil. The amount is not scary (compared to other vehicles), it is simply much more than happens later in Prius engine life.

I will never object if someone wants to do their first oil change ahead of the 5k mile schedule. There is plenty of time later in the engine's life to stretch the oil change interval, if you want to reduce the amount of used engine oil you generate.

5. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its not going to hurt to change early if you wish especially on your first oil change. If you do it now or decide to do it later I would still go synthetic. I would also just go with a cheaper brand like Castrol Syntec or Mobil-1. The reason why is even though the much more expensive Amsoil and Royal Purple tout longer oil change intervals like 15,000 you should change at the 5000 mile intervals while you're in the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty so in case something happens they can't say it was because of improper maintenance. Always go for a good oil filter (anything but the orange FRAMS) I really like the Purolator Pure One (PL14476) that you can pick up at Advance Auto Parts for about $6.

6. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After reading this post as well as many others through the years, I am still amazed that so many people think that car makers still use break-in oil.

When I started in the car business ... back in the 60's ... yes, car makers and engine rebuilders used break-in oil. Manufacturing tolerances were very poor ... compared to todays work ... and the best oil you could buy then would rate somewhere below crankcase sludge from a modern engine.

If you check with several modern car makers ... pick major name companies, you would find that some of the new cars on the road come from the factory with synthetic oil ... and some of those cars have oil change recommendations of 15k to 20k miles.

From my personal experience, car engines wear faster with dino oil than they do with synthetic. The argument for switching, and at what miles, often is based on how broken in the motor will be.

Cars I had in the 60's sometimes got 700 miles to the quart of oil ... whether new or with 50,000 miles. Some professional mechanics back then said that if a car DIDN'T use some oil, there was something wrong with the motor. All of the new cars I have had in the last 10-12 years have never used a drop between oil changes ... from the day I bought then new until getting rid of them. (this included a Geo Metro 3 cylinder ... 44 mpg ... after 150,000 miles)

Switching to synthetic oil ALWAYS improved my mpg ... by a significant amount. I have kepts logs on my cars for over 40 years and I have learned by experience that synthetic, for me, is worth about 10% better mpg.

Todays cars don't come with break in oil and they don't need oil changes at 3000 miles ... unless you really want to give too much money to the oil company.

7. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    After reading this post as well as many others through the years, I am still amazed that so many people think that car makers still use break-in oil.

When I started in the car business ... back in the 60's ... yes, car makers and engine rebuilders used break-in oil. Manufacturing tolerances were very poor ... compared to todays work ... and the best oil you could buy then would rate somewhere below crankcase sludge from a modern engine.

If you check with several modern car makers ... pick major name companies, you would find that some of the new cars on the road come from the factory with synthetic oil ... and some of those cars have oil change recommendations of 15k to 20k miles.

From my personal experience, car engines wear faster with dino oil than they do with synthetic. The argument for switching, and at what miles, often is based on how broken in the motor will be.

Cars I had in the 60's sometimes got 700 miles to the quart of oil ... whether new or with 50,000 miles. Some professional mechanics back then said that if a car DIDN'T use some oil, there was something wrong with the motor. All of the new cars I have had in the last 10-12 years have never used a drop between oil changes ... from the day I bought then new until getting rid of them. (this included a Geo Metro 3 cylinder ... 44 mpg ... after 150,000 miles)

Switching to synthetic oil ALWAYS improved my mpg ... by a significant amount. I have kepts logs on my cars for over 40 years and I have learned by experience that synthetic, for me, is worth about 10% better mpg.

Todays cars don't come with break in oil and they don't need oil changes at 3000 miles ... unless you really want to give too much money to the oil
    company.

I would never try to dispute the wisdom of the Old Bald Guy or any other Prius owner about today's Toyota's being built. I do think everything he says about newer car manufacturing is correct, valve clearance or tolerance is much improved and tighter specs all around. I am focusing specifically on the break-in period. I changed my oil today at 3300 + miles. I closely inspected the oil fllter residual oil. The residue was different than before than with my other new Toyotas in yesteryear; no visible metal shavings. The technician changing the oil stated the break-in period can last up to 10 k miles He recommended not to switch to synthetic until 8-10 k because of microscopic particles become more pronounced during the 2nd or 3rd 3 k oil change. Maybe they are teaching this in oil school because I read something to this effect in a Castro oil hyperlink. As those particles remain they could bond to the synthetic oil that then bonds to the internal engine parts. Is this oil company propaganda or this Prus owner paranoia? does it make any difference in engine performance or gas mileage? I do not know. Since I can't 'see' microscopic metal shavings but I have kind of an understanding about the difference between Dino oil and synthetics, it makes sense to do early oil changes with Dino oil early on then switch to a high grade synthetic after 10 k and use an extended oil change schedule. BTW, he would have been happy to sell me Mobile I @ $79.00 oil change. Terry

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    change your oil yourself and a change to synthetic Mobil 1 only costs you less than $25 per oil change. I used to live in an apartment complex where they said I couldn't work on my cars. I did oil changes anyway because there is a difference between maintenance and working on a car. An oil change also only takes less then 30 minutes. As far as more major work I would just go to a friend or relatives house to take care of that stuff.

9. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After reading this thread, I'm thinking of switching to synthetic oil -- but with 75,000 miles on my engine, I have a few questions: Is switching worth it? Could switching harm something? Do I need to do anything special -- like a short 1st change, etc.