1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken hood release cable

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nssdiver, Mar 4, 2015.

1. nssdiver

nssdiver Me digging' life

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a broken hood release cable and with hours of searching PC and Google, I can't find anyone else who has had this problem and addressed it w/o taking it to a dealer. Does anyone know how to open a hood on a Gen II ('07 Touring) when you can't pop the latch with the release inside the vehicle? I have found the thread where the cable has broken mid-length, but the dealer believes that mine is broken at the latch and hence, I have nothing to grab if I approach from underneath the car.

This HAS to have happened to someone else besides me...

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have never done this on a Prius or even really looked into it. But couple of different ways comes to my mind.

-Going wrought upper front grille. Its narrow but it might be enough. You might be able to remove divider peace with saw and then fix it afterword if you need extra room?
    -Removing front bumper cover partially. Remove lower splash shield and bumper cover from anything except under the hood and then going in thought bottom.
    -Removing bottom grill and going through it.
    -Just remove lower slash shield and go in from that

No matter what method(s) you choose it would be good to have another gen 2 Prius with hood open and radiator support cover (plastic peace) removed so you can look what you should be doing.

To open it you have basically three options.
    -You can unlatch it by doing what the cable was doing. But it can be rusty and hard to open since it already broke your cable.
    -You can unscrew three bolts and open the hood with latch still attached.
    -Or you can break the latch with drill.

#2 valde3, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. nssdiver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the suggestions, valde3, but I think my issues are going to revolve around not being able to reach/see what I need to do to spring the latch. with the lower grill removed, i can get my fingers to the top of the latch mechanism, but do not know what to go after with my fingertips to spring the latch. Don't want to drill if I don't have to and dealer wants a small fortune. Figure it's worth some skinned knuckles trying, first. No good/detailed pics of latch mechanism online. This method may be in vain as I'm close to the limit of my reach.

Also, can't tell where the 3rd bolt is...

4. nssdiver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Anyone who has had a broken hood release cable at the hood latch, message me for how to open hood. Mine broke ~1-2" from where the cable/ball attaches to the release due to corrosion.

5. Kozo

Kozo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem with my 2005 prius. Cable broke and I cannot find a way to open it. Did you eventually come up with a solution?

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It pays to keep that latch well lubricated.

goldfinger likes this.
  7. nssdiver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, but being behind and below the actual latch makes it in-intuitive and difficult to access.

iPhone ?

8. Hamptgx

Hamptgx Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can anyone help, while removing interior panel the small black spring that goes in the inside (the car_under steering wheel) hood release lever popped out (its not bent or broken) and damned if i can figure out how it fits back under there properly. Can someone tell me or send me a shot of theirs installed?
    Thanks

#8 Hamptgx, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  9. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My friend's done it for me a few months back. The nub at the end of the cable pulls a slotted lever it sits in toward the left drive side if the car.

That lever is accessible at the top of the engine side of the center of the radiator support. A remote camera and a long screwdriver will make the job a lot easier. Place the car on ramps, crawl under the car with your feet pointed out the front, look up and find the slot where the nub of the cable is attached. Use the screwdriver and push the lever to the left. The hood latch will pop open about an inch.

You may want to look at another Prius, before starting to see how the hood cable and latch lever works and releases.

Prius Pete likes this.
  10. tnt4him

tnt4him Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Here is what I would try to do: first get a coat hanger and form it straight with a hook on the end. Then position it through the grill to catch the cable wire inside the release mechanism and pull. If that fails then get out a 1/4" ratchet with long extension and swivel head to remove the two 10mm bolts that secure the latch mechanism. its difficult.