1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bulb replacement, tail light 08?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jdianeol, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jdianeol

jdianeol New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've searched the threads on the forum and I'm not seeing any tips or hints that can help me get the driver's side running tail light bulb (#3) out. I've rotated CCW and loosened the socket, but it won't come free from the tail light housing. I had the same problem with the headlight bulbs and eventually found the wire clip that the manual doesn't show/mention.

Is there something similar on the tail light bulbs?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mine doesn't have a special clip but it is fairly awkward to reinstall. I've never had a problem with removal, only reinstallation. The passenger side is much easier.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A few days late but i hope this helps. I think you twisted the wrong direction. It should be CCW facing the back of the bulb base. If you are facing the tail light it should be CW.

1 person likes this.
  4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always thought the taillights were one of the easiest and most pleasant bulbs to change and I'm a complete novice. Open that plastic flap and it's right there.

5. jdianeol

jdianeol New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Postlude & resolution...
    I needed to rotate the socket nearly a full 360 degrees to get the tabs aligned and remove the socket from the housing. The socket was hanging up on something and, because i was hitting resistance, I thought it had rotated as far as possible. Once I cleared that small hurdle, it really was as easy as the video made it look. This is the one piece that I could not (and cannot) see in the video it how far to rotate.

Thanks for the replies. It sometimes helps just to know that you're on the right track...

6. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Shout out to usbseawolf2000: Thank you so much for posting that light bulb change video. I need to replace one of mine and your video shows so easy it is. I am a complete novice and I am going to change it myself.

Thanks!

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are welcome. If you are changing just one of the bulb, you can do it in 30 seconds.

1 person likes this.
  8. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1 person likes this.
  9. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After looking in the manual and searching the forums here, I am still unsure of what bulbs I need to buy. :confused: It is the rear bottom headlight: the running light I think it is called.

I bought Sylvania 2825LL. Before I break the packet open, did I get the right part number?

Thanks again for your help.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, I too think you got the right size. Before you open the package, I suggest you remove the dead bulb first. This way you can compare and make sure you got the right one.

1 person likes this.
  11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  12. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  13. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are right!!! I would bet I spent a total of 1 minute changing both bulbs (replaced the other one even though it was okay).

Sylvania 2825LL is the correct size.

Now, have you done any other low level maintence vidoes? Like how to change the air filter that is near the glove compartment?

So grateful that you shared your knowledge with a complete newbie to car care. :cheer2:

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No but I can make one. Let me know of anything else you can think of.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had a traffic stop on Sunday night b/c of a tail light being out so yesterday I stopped at the local AutoZone, with my son, to buy a replacement. I first pulled out the old which was super easy (1/4 counter-clockwise twist, then pull the bulb out of the slot as in the video).

My 11 year old son, who is not mechanically inclined at all, was with me. I had him watch how to remove and then replace the bulb on the burned out driver's side, then had him do the passenger side (just prophylacticly and to make sure the brightness and color matched), took him 2 tries in just about 45 seconds. Definately a DIY job, do NOT pay a dealer.

My bulbs cost me $5 for the pair.

KK6PD likes this.
  16. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am currently using the Sylvania 2825 LL Bulbs. They are a exact match to the OEM bulb. They seem to hold up well. They are white, not red and are not LED, but incandescent. They work well in both the tail light and the front marker lamps.

They are rated at 5 Watts @ 13.5 Volts. The owners manual states a 5 Watt Wedge Bulb should be used.

Buy Sylvania Long Life Incandescent Mini Bulb 2825 LL at Advance Auto Parts

They are very easy to replace, simply remove the cover in the rear of the car, turn the socket CCW 1/4 of a turn, then gently pull the socket out of the light assembly. Then all you have to do is pull the bulb straight out while holding the base. Reverse the assembly with a new bulb and you should be back in business.

FWIW, It is a good idea to check your lights at the same time you are checking your tires, oil and so forth. I carry a package of these bulbs in the glove box so if one burns out, I can change it then. In the 21 months of ownership, I have changed two of the bulbs so far. None of the bulbs I have changed have burned out at this time.

Ron

ewxlt66 likes this.
  18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    White incandescents are fine if you want to go that way.
    For LEDs it is important to get RED for the red lights.

19. xyzzy42

xyzzy42 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LEDs and incandescents are different. A red LED makes red light. A white LED makes white light. Incandescents only make white light. There are none that make red. But what about red Christmas lights?! That's a white light with a red coating on the bulb, just like the white bulb in the red taillight housing. The red LED doesn't have any red coating or filter, the light starts red when the LED makes it.

While both LEDs and incandescents can make "white" light, the spectrum of the light they make is quite different. They might look pretty much the same to the human eye, but stick them behind a red filter and then won't be the same any more.

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, actually quite the opposite. An incandescent bulb emits the full spectrum of light. However, not in equal portions.
    That is why you can put any color lens in front of any incandescent or fluorescent lamp
    That's why light is measured by color temperature in ° Kelvin or K°. such as the following ...

1,700 K Match flame
    1,850 K Candle flame, sunset/sunrise
    2,700–3,300 K Incandescent lamps
    3,000 K Soft (or Warm) White compact fluorescent lamps
    3,200 K Studio lamps, photofloods, etc.
    3,350 K Studio "CP" light
    4,100–4,150 K Moonlight[2]
    5,000 K Horizon daylight
    5,000 K tubular fluorescent lamps or
    cool white/daylight compact fluorescent lamps (CFL)
    5,500–6,000 K Vertical daylight, electronic flash
    6,200 K Xenon short-arc lamp[3]
    6,500 K Daylight, overcast
    5,500–10,500 K LCD or CRT screen
    15,000–27,000 K
    Clear blue poleward sky

The point being only LEDs emit "Pure" color as dictated by the semiconductor and die system used!

xpcman likes this.