1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burning Smell After Harsh Acceleration?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ashley7, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I've had my c for about four months/2,000 miles. I have a short city-based commute, and I drive it fairly gingerly. Since I don't drive on the highway much, it very rarely even goes into the power zone on the HSI.

This past weekend my boyfriend and I took my car to the Oregon Coast to go camping. He drove, and although he has a heavier foot than I, it's just kind of a tough drive for the little engine (though not something that it can't handle).

Once after passing someone, and once after getting up to highway speeds from a dead stop on an incline, my car produced a burning smell.

My boyfriend said it's probably just some stuff burning up in the engine because I never drive it very hard, and that it's no big deal. I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about, or if he pulled that out of his butt to quell my worries. :rolleyes:

What say you, forumites? Do I need to get anything checked out? Or does this sound like normal behavior? The car is technically broken in with over 1,000 miles, but I still worry.

TwitchOtyolf likes this.
  2. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here, did a lil bit of spirited driving last week, with hard acceleration, speeding up to 100mph and hard braking and stuffs and there's a burning smell, smells like burning wires / hot brake pads. But I kinda think it's normal since the car is fairly new and never thrashed that hard before. The smell went away immediately.

TwitchOtyolf likes this.
  3. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You are fine - I have had 5 new cars in the last 12 years and they all do this. The burning smell is just the components breaking in - its not uncommon to smell that for the first few thousand miles. I even smell it on my new motorcycles.

4. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You said that you passed someone by before you could feel this smell. Do you think it could be some fumes from the car you just passed by? Especially if it was a car/truck with a diesel engine. It seems (i don't know for sure since I didn't put my hands on it yet) that this car doesn't have a charcoal cabin air filter. Whenever I have diesel truck in front of me, I can smell all these diesel fumes. It sucks, since on my carmy with charcoal filter, I don't have such of a problem.

5. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like it's nothing to be concerned about. Glad to hear it :) This is my first brand new car, so the breaking in stuff is new to me.

(Mik1--I had considered that until it happened again later when accelerating uphill with no other cars around)

6. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just keep an eye on it....for now, maybe take it in to the dealership for a look.
    I am sure it's nothing honestly I have not had this experience with my C.

Attached Files:

dellrio likes this.
  7. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

8. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm starting to notice some burning odor coming through the vents at 19,000k miles on harsh accelerations. Guess it's time for a visit to the dealership.

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ashley, welcome to the dark side of the gas pedal. All that raw power finally let loose got everything all hot and bothered. Nothing to take alarm about.

Your C merely got worked up into a lather. That is all. Give it a sugar cube next time, and a brisk rub down. A pat on it's rear bumper wouldn't be out of line.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll sometimes notice a burning smell when pulling into a mountain top parking lot. Basically anytime you run high revs over a protracted period, you're really going to heat up the exhaust fully, and if there's any undercoating overspray on it, that's when it's going to cook a bit.

11. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I've had a burning smell going up long hills on practically every car I owned in the past, including my 2013 Prius. Like others have mentioned, I am guessing it is from the exhaust getting really hot and burning off coatings or dirt.

12. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Funny thing: This is the (much) older thread. I posted it in July of 2012. I posted the link in that thread to give the OP a few more responses to consider, which inadvertently brought this thread back to life. Whoops!

For the record, it still does this once in a while, but I am not concerned about it in the slightest.

TwitchOtyolf likes this.
  13. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ashley, Do a couple of these in front of your house and burn off all that icky paint stuff. Your neighbors will thank you...

[​IMG]

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have nothing to worry about..because you have something to worry about...if that makes any sense.

Your boyfriend is probably right, it's probably just smells with a new car being broken in...I'm 99% sure that is the case.

But it's also a situation where if I'm wrong? The problem will get progressively worse and eventually you'll reach a stage where speculation or guessing whether you have a problem will not be necessary. And even then, since you have a new car, you'd be under warranty and it wouldn't be a catastrophic problem.

BUT....given the information, and situation you are describing, I think you have nothing to worry about, unless you want to....

So my recommendation is don't worry..be happy...and the ONLY thing I would do at this point is take the opportunity to learn how to check your oil. You need to know how to do this and do it on a regular basis anyway.

If your oil level is fine...then there is really at this point no reason to be concerned.

15. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    In this situation, I sometimes think a car is like a human. The more you work it, the smellier it gets :)

16. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Like I said, this was nearly two years ago (that boyfriend and I are getting hitched in August!), and I have no concerns about the car. It's running as great as ever. But I do still appreciate people taking the time to belatedly reassure me, I'm sure it'll come in handy to new c owners. :)

B2FiNiTY likes this.
  17. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's never too late for fiery burnouts...

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations.
    As much as I hang around here, you'd think I'd learn to always check the date on the original post.

Oh well, glad to hear the car is running fine, and wish you and your husband to be, all the best.

19. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats to you both. :cool: