1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

butt seat comfort

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by DeanFL, Jun 26, 2009.

1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had my V 2 weeks tomorrow, 680 miles. Initially thought that I was comfy in the seat. But the last few hundred miles my bottom just didn't feel right. In the end, it seemed as if my thighs weren't getting the support but my butt was getting it all. The bucket seats weren't "bucket" enough. Of course not power, so couldn't adjust the seat front up, and the levered up/down seat seemed to stay parallel.

Then I recalled a similar issue many cars back from this one. No power seats either. I removed the front two seat bolts and put spacer washers between the floor pan and frame of the seat, about 5/8".

It's amazing what the small amount will do. The seat bottom now conforms well to my legs and butt with good support thruout. Time will tell, but initially feels much better. And the seat is as secure as from the factory.

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a good idea.

I think some taller people did that for the Gen II Prius too because the Gen II driver seat's rearward travel was about 2.5" less than your Gen III's. Others have added a foam piece to give more thigh support in the front.

3. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Tom, Thanks.

After picking up the car, I had the seat 2 notches up from the most rearward travel. Then eventually one more notch back, then all the way. More comfy there, and my legs were still crooked up a bit too high, thus the need for the thigh support lift. I'm 6'0 (31 inseam) --- so don't know how folks taller manage - and in the G2??? Yikes.

Have a 100 mile roundtrip to a friend's house over the weekend, so that will be the thigh/butt test.

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    People should note that raising the seat with the lever seems to raise the back of the seat more than the front of the seat.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it's usually hinged on the front. (no idea how shorter people sit because the seat will be tilted forward so would it feel like you're sliding off the seat?)

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think it really goes past level, but you do lose a bit of the bucket effect the further up you go.

7. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just this afternoon, I was also thinking that there wasn't enough thigh support. However, I thought it was due to the seat bottom being too shallow. Thanks for the tip!

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok. It's probably a placebo effect on my part.

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well I experimented with pumping the seat up today. Dang if I didn't start sliding sliding down the slippery slope, probably about the time my head was hitting the ceiling! :D

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know eh? ;) haha.

11. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just how high can you raise the front bolts ? Do ou have to get longer bolts if you are adding washers to raise the seat .
    I saw the difference just loosening the bots but didn't see much of a pitch .I also have leather so slippery is another issue when I raise the seat . Love it if this is the answer

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Great idea, I think I'll be trying this. I found the seats comfortable on my drive last week but I was wishing I could tilt the front part of the butt portion of the seat up more. Any car I've owned with power seats, I always liked it with the front up a bit and the back butt portion down... Thanks for the idea!

13. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Folks, this really works - and the previous posts noting the "flattening or tipping" as the seat is raised...I thought so too. I like the seat a bit higher as I'm just out of an RX SUV and like the view.

I installed almost 1/4" of washers, and after putting on about 100 miles since the mod, would like a bit more. The bolt seems to have about 1/2" travel screwing into the floor pan. You DEFINITELY want to have enough screw-depth into floor pan threads to hold the seat VERY securely...in case of an accident and the stress on the seat. I'm certain these bolts would be available in longer lengths at a hardware store or H/D & Lowes.

It's a very simple mod. Although I would expect if more than 1/4" of washers are used, the rear mounting bolts may need to be loosened a bit to allow enough angle of the seat frame to fit in the washers. So, all that's required are the washers and a socket set. Don't recall the hole diameter required for the bolts to fit thru the washers or the mm of the socket. An easy fix. Your butt will thank you for it.

And while I'm down in that area, I plan to either paint or cover the -ugly- black bracket with a color close to the carpeting.

14. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Note to Toyota:

Please include a power seat in the 2011, or I won't buy your car.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not gonna happen. As much as I like a power seat too (loved it on the Camry XLE we had), I'm ok with manual seats if it saves weight.

16. billklug

billklug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll have to try this to see, if aside from the better "butt feel" if it provides any relief from my right knee constantly bumping / resting aginst the center console. I'm half tempted to break-out my sawzall for that issue. Thank or the idea!:)

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Power seats are a huge weight problem in a car that already doesn't come "fully loaded" for the same reason. Don't count on power seats in the Prius.

If features like this are really important to you, consider the Lexus HS250h

18. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Maybe they could offer a power driver's seat with memory if you don't get the 60 some odd pound solar roof. That would be a good tradeoff for me. Of course that would lead to another round of complaints as we have had on "no solar roof with 17 inch wheels", too.

19. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's too bad they wouldn't let people decide for themselves what options are worth taking a 1-2MPG hit (or boost) on. If they felt that getting 1 more MPG was so important to consumers, where is the stripper model with no power windows, locks, touch tracer, smart key, sound dampening, etc?

20. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's called the Prius I and it should be out within a year.