1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy a '05 or '06 with 145000kms?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by overfl0w, Jul 16, 2013.

1. overfl0w

overfl0w New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! We need to replace the loss of a work car (Corolla, used to have a GenII Prius before that, and only have 2-3weeks to buy a new car), and of course for fuel economy and safety, we're going a Prius (I-TECH). But we only have so much money to spend, as this is our second car. We have to get it from mainland Aus. (we live on the Island where there is none, or seriously overpriced), so need to allow for $1000-$3000 extra transport (depends on where from mainland we get it) & state rego changeover etc.
    So it's down to a:
    1) 2005 (early release), so no rear camera etc. One owner, serviced at the one Toyota dealership, has had both batteries replaced 2 months ago (8yr warranty), water pump, recalls etc. done
    2) 2006 (for the extra airbags in the back, reversing camera, MP3 connectivity, leather). 2 owners, serviced at Toyota bar last 2 services ,not sure about the 2006 recalls...yet to check,
    Both have 141-145000kms. Both in (said) really good condition. Both $9500 (that's what we negotiated with them).
    So I have read so many threads and reviews and sites and everything, but we are unsure which is best. (I followed the rules and checked here thoroughly first:) ) I know the hybrid battery can last for ages longer, but if there's two we have come across for sale that have had to be replaced, we have to take that into consideration that could happen with the 2006 one anytime (extra $4000). I've read about care and maintenance of the car here, and buying second hand batteries etc., though we would buy new with the 8yr warranty. We'd like less kms, but $12500 is our max. all done and dusted, sitting in our drive. And it's only a car, after all, but one must make the right choice! I am about to get a CarFacts on them now. And remember, we haven't actually eyeballed these or driven them - we will be buying sight unseen except for a Toyota Check. Expert Prius owners, we've come for your help please!

2. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    The typical HV battery killer is HEAT, with clogged fan being a contributing factor. If you live in a hot climate then factor that into your longevity calculations.

Keep the car in good condition (proper maintenance) and control excess heat and either of those should be a good deal.

3. overfl0w

overfl0w New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that. Had read that heat, age of car & kms on clock were the main killers of the battery. So you don't think the 2005 with the newer battery has any advantage over the 2006? We live in a cool climate, but the cars come from a warmer one, so it's history is more important than where's it's coming to. We haven't seen the service books yet...not sure how to being over here and them there. Thanks again.

4. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The newer one is tempting with the added options but the 05 with the replaced batteries and same mileage stands out as the better choice to me. Depends on the availability of replacement batteries, especially from salvage yards. Being on an island may not be a good situation for finding replacements? What is the availability even on the mainland?

5. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    In the US, if you have the VIN#, you can look-up the service records online for any work done by a dealer.

SteveLee has a point about the 05 being a better bet for HV battery longevity.

6. overfl0w

overfl0w New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys! and here was I thinking, "Oh well, if it's looked after both should be fine, so we'll go the extra options in the 2006." Hmmm, had been leaning toward 2005 model for exact same reasons of replaced battery/parts. We live in Tasmania (our Island State), so availability should be fine new battery, but maybe not second hand...will Toyota install a second hand battery? Mainland sells dozens of Prius a day, so that should be fine. I did a stolen/money owing check on both - both fine, but we are asking both for copy of service history today. Not sure if can do this online with VIN in Aus.? Have to check. If only a Taswegian would have a 2006 with less kms for sale...then so much of our money wouldn't have to go into getting one over the water! Thanks again!

7. overfl0w

overfl0w New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to let you know we put an offer in on the 2006, which was accepted. The day before it was supposed to have an inspection done, and then deposit put into the bank, they sold it to some one else. We have now bought a different 2006 one with 120,000kms (I-TECH) for $10, 250. Of course from the mainland. Husband will arrive home tomorrow, with it. Thanks for your help guys! Glad to have such a good site behind us with the Prius!

8. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Congratulations! I think you will love it as much as we do ours.