1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying 2004 low mileage and potential issues from minimum use.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jetta, May 12, 2011.

1. Jetta

Jetta New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Team.

As the heading suggests have come across an early 2004 low mileage vehicle.
    Currently showing 48000km or close to 30000 miles.
    This vehicle has been sitting around an Auction house for 3 months, not sure why.
    Prius is not to popular in Australia, I have made contact with original owner
    elderly lady from the big smoke of Sydney she said she never spent a cent on
    the vehicle other than service costs and wishes she still had it but husband
    wanted to update his Boat (cant argue against that).

Anyway would appreciate some opinions on how the batteries would
    stand up to not being used often over time and been sitting around for the
    last 3 months doing very little.
    Any other areas I should be looking at with this model.

Thanks Guy's.

Jetta.

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2004 with almost 200000km on it...no big issues...battery still in excellent shape...(the High Voltage battery, that is...)...if i were in your shoes...i would start by checking the motor oil and changing it ...then i would check and or replace the 12volt battery in the back of the vehicle...(a small battery located in the lower back of car, passenger side of vehicle...)...brakes shouldnt be an issue, given i'm still on the originals at 200k...check to see if the vehicle had an ecu software update...most 04s needed one back in 04-05...for good measure i would probably check the coolant/inverter fluid(same coolant) and more-than-likely i would check the transaxle fluid(shouldn't need changed yet but make sure its not contaminated with water or anything else the car may have been through...If the car has HID front headlights...asked if they have had issues with bulbs going out...if so get both of them replaced...there are threads on priuschat which would give instruction on do-it -yourself, or dealer(somewhat high priced, if dealer done)...other than that...really no big issues at this point in time...

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The traction battery wouldn't be harmed in any way. The 12V battery, however, may have been fully discharged several times and may have to be replaced. They suffer badly in car lots.

Other than that, if the price is right, it's probably a good buy.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Jetta. Is sounds one of the Prius's I looked a last year when I was buying S/H. Is it silver?

Anyway, as to the question. As long as it starts and runs ok then the main (traction) battery will be none the worse for sitting that time.

5. Jetta

Jetta New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Main concern was for the batteries and in particular the drive battery,
    but you have allayed any fears.

uart yes it is a silver prius however the owner said they only sold it Febuary this year.
    The only issue I can see now is the small bumper love bites and a scratch
    running from rear panel into door but I suspect this is standard from an elderly
    driver going by my own parents car.

uart do you recall this vehicle you mention with a scratch on passenger side rear
    panel running through onto rear door, if so something does not add up.

Jetta.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No the one I looked at didn't have that scratch. If I recall correctly it had a really small ding near the rear number plate. I don't think it's the same car, it's just that the year model, low km's and the description of the seller did sound a bit similar.