1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a 2008 Toyota Prius. What should I check?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BobWi, Feb 15, 2013.

1. BobWi

BobWi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm planning to buy a 2008 Prius with 100,000 miles from an owner, not a dealer.
    I never had a hybrid car before so I'd appreciate any tips. What should I check to make sure I'm buying a car in good condition?
    Thank you.

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If no icons appear on the dash when running and it drives well, I'd get it to an OBD2 port reader to check for any codes, but what you see is what you get, great cars

3. BobWi

BobWi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, URSLE.

Do you know how to check if the CVT transmission is ok? I've read that if there is something wrong with it, it should be a deal breaker.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Find a dealer with an 08 you can test drive so you can compare it to the one you're considering buying. That way you'll have a better idea if the private party is trying to sell you lemonade.

5. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Check his service records. Has it been serviced reasonably well? If he doesn't have the service records ask where it was serviced and call them. Ask where he bought it and call them. You need the VIN. Go to the Toyota owners website. Register there and plug in the VIN. It will provide the service info recorded in the system. Does the engine turn off at stop lights? Does the engine shut off going 40 with the cruise on and travel on electric for about a mile then the engine kick on again? It's about time for the 12V battery to get weak. Check the voltage. Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

The 08 is not that old and 100,000 miles is not that much for this car. It would just be reassuring to know the owner took care of it. Why is he selling it? Was it garage kept? How are the ries? Are they LRR? How are the fluid levels? It is most likely a good car but the more information you have the better judgement you can make.

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you get the vin and log into the Toyota web site you can pull the service record. Compare what he did to what is recommended. You can upload it here and we can look at it. The obvious is regular oil changes, a 100K tune up, did he replace the transaxle fluid, break fluid, radiator fluid, replace the 12V battery etc. If he is missing something ask to have that cost deducted from the price. If he did not replace the tyransaxle fluid that may be a show stopper since the failure can cost several thousand. The most important part of vehicle long life is constant fluid changes.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    reset the mpg meter and take it for a good long drive to make sure it's getting 50 mpg or so.

JMD likes this.