1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a prius that doesnt turn on.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tamaimx, Aug 18, 2014.

1. tamaimx

tamaimx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi to everyone, i'm newbie in the hybrid World. Im going to buy a cheap prius 2006 from a private seller. The car doesn't turn on. He say that the car was Working fine and a someday the car doesnt turn on. He say that is the hybrid Battery but the 12v is totally dead. There is a way to know ir its the hybrid Battery?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would highly suggest you don't buy a Prius that won't turn on as your first hybrid. They can be very costly to repair. If it's a simple 12v battery, I would think the owner would replace that before selling it.

3. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds very risky. To check you would need something like a 12V jump pack to get it powered on (may have to disconnect old battery if its really toast), then a code reader to see whats going on. A regular code reader won't cut it. You'll need something that can read the special Prius codes, like a scangauge with custom programming, a the android torque app custom programmed with a compatible bluetooth reader, or a mini-VCI with an old windows laptop. Even if it scanned clean you might be in for a bad surprise, as the codes have most likely been cleared by the dead battery from whenever it was run last.

If you're looking for a cheap Prius, I'd look at a rebuild from a reputable source before I'd roll the dice on a mechanics special. I flew out and drove mine home from IN to AZ to buy from this guy:
    Rebuildable Prius and Electric Vehicles

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I can't see how, given the low price, anyone with very little experience in cars, especially the Prius, and with little money, would pursue and buy a project car.

I have a 1998 Mazda MPV with a conventional engine that I finally sorted out. I have 45 years experience and extensive car electrical knowledge since I was 18.

A lot of older "on again-off again" intermittent problem cars are totaled out, especially those that don't run well.

Unless you have a lot of patience and experience, stay away. Paying a mechanic with a "blank check" at $80 an hour will bankrupt you, if you can even afford it.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! if the hybrid battery is bad, it will either throw a code, or it needs to be driveable so you can observe the behavior. all the best!(y)

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why does he say it is the hybrid battery? Random guess? Or did he get the info from a mechanic?

If you are lucky, the Check Engine Light is on and the stored codes have not been cleared.
    In that case scan the car and write down the trouble codes so you can research them.

I am seeing more of these types of scenarios coming into my shop.
    Guy buys non-working prius.
    Is told that it is only the battery.

But of course it never is just the battery.
    When these come in now I am requiring that additional service be quoted so we can actually get the car running.
    I have seen locked up engines, MAF issue, throttle body issues, exhaust issues, and much more.

Where are you located?
    Feel free to call if you want to talk more about your situation.
    608-729-4082

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the OP reported the 12V battery is dead there won't be any DTC other than those that might be logged by the skid control and SRS ECUs, both of which are irrelevant to a no-start condition...