1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying used Prius 2006 from private 96000 miles. What should I expect?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Viktoria, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Viktoria

Viktoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III

We did a test drive for a 2006 Prius package III, 96000 miles. Everything seemed fine and the car was well kept. No accidents or or major repairs were done. The price however was 1000 higher than blue book value. Is there a typical set of problems or repairs that might arise for a car with this much mileage or anything we should look out for? The car wasn't serviced at Toyota center, but it seems to be in order. It was kept in the garage the whole time & underneath the car looks clean & not rusty.
    Also shall I buy a carfax record & get it tested by toyota? I guess the seller should drop the price if we start paying for inspection. Looking forward to hearing from Prius enthusiasts! Thanks in advance ;)

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    $1,000 over what blue book? Private party or Used car retail? It may be priced too high. What's the price?
    Also you might have potential battery problems if all its service was in a extremely HOT area.

Viktoria likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you in a carb state? i would expect a great car that gets incredible mpg's, needs very little maintenance, but in a very tiny percentage of cases can have a four figure repair bill. all the best!(y)

4. Viktoria

Viktoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your reply. It was $1,000 over kbb value. It was a private owner, asking price is 9500. The kbb price is 8718 (for an excellent condition car)

5. Viktoria

Viktoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! we are in New Mexico & the car we looked at was 2006 year model. According to Wikipedia NM is a carb state (2011 model year). I guess we will look a the carfax report & see...

6. Viktoria

Viktoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We are based in New Mexico, so summers are hot. Does it mean that the situation is much worse for the battery life span in a hot state? Thanks

7. Viktoria

Viktoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We are also thinking about looking at a 2007 Prius package 6 with 170000 miles (private owner - just one owner, who claims that he has a clear carfax). The asking price is $6700 (same as kbb value). Is it even worth looking at it considering such high mileage?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The service life for a Prius is 180k miles, according to Toyota. Most people love to drive these when they buy them. At 170k miles, you might want to consider one with fewer miles.

SM-N900P ?

Viktoria likes this.
  9. apsrgr

apsrgr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a friend in CA with 2006 Prius III and bought it new. He had to replace the battery pack at 180k. Dealer told him it will be $4500. He found a 3rd party vender for $1800. He currently have 226k with no issue. I also was shoping for a use Prius. At the end I decided to buy new because my daily commute is 120 mile round trip. I did purchase my 2013 Prius $5000 below MSRP.

Viktoria likes this.
  10. Skateruk

Skateruk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not familiar with US specs, but I had a 2007 Gen II (T Spirit) which had covered 96,000 miles without problems. Your 2006 would appear to be a better buy than the later model as long as it has a verifiable and full service history - preferably by a Toyota dealer. This would be further justification of a higher price. For peace of mind why not take it to your local Toyota dealer for an assessment, maybe the seller will cover this cost if he is genuine? Also, why not try and negotiate a reduction in the price and at least you will have a bit of a buffer against any future expenses!
    Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Viktoria likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it has been established in the electric vehicle world that high summer heat can be detrimental to the longevity of the battery. and some ev's even have active battery cooling systems due to this, but the prius does not, except for a small ventilation fan which blows air from the interior of the car over the battery. but it also depends on how the car was driven and if it was parked all day in the sun or shade. these are things which you have no way of determining. if you are in a carb state, and it was a carb state when the vehicle was purchased, and the vehicle was purchased and has been registered there the whole life, you have a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty. this is worth determining before hand.

Viktoria likes this.
  12. c.ortiz108

c.ortiz108 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funnily enough, I'm also looking at a 2006 pkg 3 with similar miles. The guy will take $8,500 but will not pay any repairs that might come up in an inspection. Depending on the inspection, obviously, does that sound like a good deal if all is in good shape?

Viktoria likes this.
  13. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would get it checked with CarFax. It's cheap insurance - it might have been in accident. Or worse.
    Ask the owner if he has ever changed the transmission fluid (even though Prius's transmission is not really a transmission). If the answer is NO then make a face and say "transmission is probably all gunked up and going to die soon... you need to come down in price". Same with gas engine water pump - it often dies around 100k, and would cost 300 to replace.
    Ask the owner if he ever heard the Traction Battery fan to come on (next to the back seat). If the answer is YES then make a face and say "battery probably have been overheated... and going to die soon... you need to come down in price".

- Alex

Viktoria and Skateruk like this.
  14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unbelievable

SM-N900P ?

usnavystgc likes this.
  15. c.ortiz108

c.ortiz108 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ???

16. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just FYI.
    I just sold my 05 Prius pack5 white (97k) to private buyer at $8800 just last Xmas at Bay Area. I bought this Prius when I was in Albuquerque New Mexico in 2005. This car is really amazing and only regular oil change at jiffy lub. I took this car for skiing every winter around nm and CO. Not a single issue and really low maintenance cost in my opinion.

Before I sold this car, I have took it to the dealer and replace the 12v battery $300 and the tires are also new - only a few months old from costco.

I guess buying a used car is really hit and miss so good luck. By the way, I sold my 05 in 2 days under craigslist. I think this car is still in high demand. Also, never buy any used car at dealer in my opinion because their price is always so high.

iPhone ?

Viktoria likes this.
  17. Viktoria

Viktoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you. We decided to buy the 2006 one with 96000 miles. Really happy about the deal.

usnavystgc likes this.
  18. Viktoria

Viktoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! That's really good news about the battery deal & how many miles it has! And congrats on your purchase deal.

19. Viktoria

Viktoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! That's what we ended up doing. We finally bought the 2006 one & had it checked with Toyota Service at Albuquerque. We bought it through a private seller (who kindly dropped the price). Really happy about the deal, it is a really good car.

usnavystgc likes this.
  20. Viktoria

Viktoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is really useful to know, thank you. I don't think we are in a carb state (for our model). We will keep it in the garage & in shade when being in town (as much as possible).