1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin Air Filter Install Fail

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ATHiker, Jul 30, 2016.

1. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had a surprise this morning when I attempted to put in a new Cabin Air Filter.

These filters look square at first glance, but are actually rectangular -- about 7-3/4" x 8-3/8" or so.

The issue is that the pleats on the one that came with the car run in a different direction than the one I purchased from my local Toyota dealer.

While the obvious enough solution would be to simply rotate the new filter 90* before putting it into the plastic carrier, this is impossible since the plastic carrier has a divider that runs parallel to the pleats.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The direction of the pleats should have no effect on the function of this filter, so I would not be concerned about that.

Okinawa likes this.
  3. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Agreed 100%, but the issue is that filter fits into a plastic carrier that has a single plastic "fin" that fits between the pleats. The original filter fits because the fin runs parallel to the pleats.

If you turn the filter 90*, that plastic fin makes it impossible to insert the filter.

image.jpg image.jpg

The only way to get the replacement filter to fit would be to cut each of the many pleats with sissors, or to cut the plastic fin out of the the carrier.

I am glad I didn't task my service professional with this decision at my upcoming 20k visit.

#3 ATHiker, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you thought about returning the filter to the dealer and requesting that they replace it with the correct part?

5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hiker, how did your filter get so dirty, so fast? How many miles do you have on your car?

Is the parts guy positive that filter is for a 2016?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If I'm reading the part number correctly, it looks as though that's the cabin air filter for the Gen3 Prius and not the Gen 4. Also, I would go to anywhere other than the dealership to purchase that part. Additionally, I would take the filter out in the parking lot and make sure the filter fits before purchasing it. But I know: you were at the Toyota dealer, with a Toyota car, purchasing a Toyota part with the assistance of a Toyota employee. What could possibly go wrong?

kithmo, ATHiker and bisco like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good alert! Yeah, return it, there's likely a new part for 2016.

Did you really need to change it, btw? We're over 60,000 km's on original cabin filter, on our 2010.

8. 70834

70834 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The information I have for the Prius 2016 Gen 4 part is:
    Cabin Air Filter: (Odor, Charcoal), Toyota P/N 8713958010 or...
    Cabin Air Filter: (Dust, Pollen), Toyota P/N 8713928020 (Qty = 1)

The Dust, Pollen is more expensive.
    I haven't actually purchased one of these so a little verification is needed, but a search on the above Part Numbers indicates proof.

If anyone finds this to be incorrect, please let us know.

ATHiker likes this.
  9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The direction of the pleats is not an issue. Just put the filter in with the arrows pointing upwards and you will be fine.

10. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even if the filter he has is for the wrong year car?

11. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The one in my Camry got pretty dirty after just 25,000 miles. And I only drove in the city. Maybe hiker has been driving and hiking out in the woods?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think we're privileged to be on the "wet coast". Nothing but Pacific Ocean to the west of us, and not a lot of heavy industry here, keeps the dust down. That being said, I'm pretty nonchalant with the cabin filter, take it out every year or two, knock the loose dust off, blow air through it in the opposite to usual direction, put it back in.

Oh, the elephant in the room: we rarely if ever use AC, and as soon as it starts to warm up just shut the vent system down, roll down the windows as much as needed.

13. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No. I just assumed he had the correct filter for his car. Could be that he does not.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the original filter is charcoal, not dirty. harder to tell on those, but you have to look between the pleats.

theis palstic carrier is new, i like it, compared to shoving the filter in on gen 2 and 3.

i have tried several aftermarket filters and prefer the quality and fit oem. try asking the parts guy for a discount, sometimes they are very accommodating.

Okinawa likes this.
  15. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel, we Southern Californians are in a dust bowl! The little rain we had last year was not even 25% (?) of what we need to get back up to normal water levels. For that reason, I never roll down my windows, and always keep the vents on recycle. I'm running the AC a lot. (2 days after I wash my white Prius, it's visibly dirty again.) I'm fairly close to the ocean, but it don't matter.

bisco, I prefer OEM parts too. I never could get the aftermarket air or cabin filter to fit quite right in my Camry. By the time I need one for my Prius, the parts dept should have plenty of OEM in stock.

(I hope somebody makes a video on how to open the 2016 air filter box... before I just yank on it, and bust something! My "practice run" failed...)

Wait 23 seconds to post. Twice.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  16. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for all the good information, especially Tony's post with regard to the part number.

I should have known better than to assume I was given the correct item, but this was a different dealership than the one who gave me the wrong set of spare wiper blades -- so I figured this one probably knew what they were doing.

I also picked up a small thingy of touch up paint for my blizzard pearl micro-nicks. Is there any on-line reference to confirm I got the right color? It looks similar and the part guy assured me it was, but I have not used it and my confidence level is waining.

The reasons I decided to put in the filter now was:
    1. The published maintenance schedule recommends a new one at 20k and I am will have that service in about a week.
    2. I was informed that my free Toyota service does not include this recommended item
    3. I have been subjected to a biological tsunami of pollen and tent caterpillar crap the past 6 months, and MOST IMPORTANTLY
    4. I have been wanting to change this filter since the enthusiastic guys at "To go Before" showed everyone how easy it was to do -- along with a bunch of other stuff (Thanks again, BTW)
    I will take the filter back next week.

#16 ATHiker, Jul 30, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting they've changed the interval from 15 to 20,000 miles. what about the ice air filter?

18. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Your post inspired me to check again--I misremembered the recommended interval.

Looks like 10k is when you start checking to see if a change is needed -- which could be indicated if you drive in particularly harsh environments, but it's expected life is 60k.

I think I will return mine for cash, and wait.

#18 ATHiker, Jul 30, 2016
    bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I would leave the cabin filter till it really starts growing stuff, or a rat takes up residence. It's just your lungs at stake, not something important like the engine. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, yeah: just check it, tap out the dead bugs, use a little compressed air on it, till it's really clogged, or fraying.

20. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    re: ". . . color code for touch up paint for my blizzard pearl. . ." code " 070" for blizzard pearl?

For Gen2, the color code is on the door jamb sticker, along with the tire pressure, etc. Code should be there for yours too.

2016-2017 Color Codes

Blizzard Pearl (070)
    Blue Crush Metallic (8W7)
    Classic Silver Metallic (1F7)
    Hypersonic Red (3T7)
    Magnetic Gray Metallic (1G3)
    Toyota Prius in Magnetic Gray Metallic (1G3) from 2016-2017 #1
    Toyota Prius in Magnetic Gray Metallic (1G3) from 2016-2017 #2
    Midnight Black Metallic (218)
    Sea Glass Pearl (781)
    Super White (040)

#20 Eastside, Jul 30, 2016