1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin air filter switch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kc5dlo, Oct 8, 2015.

1. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I have owned my 2014 Prius 3 for about a yr and a half and have about 50,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a button on the AC controls that looked like it indicated a filter. A quick internet search conformed it was for cabin air filtration. That would explain why the filter I changed did not look dirty. ( The service writer during one of my "free" service visits said the tech said the filter was dirty and needed replacement at 50.00 labor plus parts.) At the time I was questioning if they took the filter out to look at it during the free service, why would there be labor? I passed on the offer and bought several filters from Rock Auto.
    So last week on vacation I decided to use the newly discovered filter button. It would only stay in that function a few minutes then revert to the previous setting. Is that the way it is supposed to operate? I thought the cabin air was continually filtered.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, far as I know, that's how it's supposed to work. We've got that button too, I rank it up there with the OEM foglights, nice but meh. Hardly ever use it, uses some sorta electrostatic filtering?

Capture.JPG

I don't think there's a separate filter for this, maybe they're referring to the regular cabin filter? To get at it you remove the glove box. There's no way I'd pay someone to do this, and I'd really want to see it myself before opting to change it. I'd be more inclined to just blow the dust out of it and re-install.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It is an electrostatic ion charged filter, non replaceable media. It works in conjunction with the air media paper filter.

4. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unlike recirculate air which also allows a certain amount of outside air in so no one suffocates that button is total recirculation so is allowed for only 3 minutes,I think. It is great when you see you are going through a dusty or smelly area and you hit it and for traveling behind a smelly diesel. Yes I use it fairly often.

Manhal K Alrashdan likes this.
  5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cabin air filter media should be activated charcoal infused. If you do change the filter yourself, either use a factory OEM filter or a aftermarket filter that complies. The charcoal is there to absorb odor.

6. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    OK, so this button activates a separate filter type, and all cabin air does pass thru the paper filter behind the glove box? I did Use the button and noticed it did quickly get rid of odors while on a road trip last week. I will count this as a bonus find then.
    Thanks all!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 7.13.03 PM.png

kc5dlo likes this.
  8. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, there is no separate filter. I too have heard that it goes to 100% recirculated air (normal "recirculated" is only about 80%, with 20% fresh air mixed in), although I can't find documentation to back that up at the moment.

The "ion charged filter" mrbigh refers to is the Plasmacluster, present on the IV and V trims in 2010 and 2011. It was discontinued in the 2012 model. It runs any time the fan is running (i.e. pressing the button neither turns it on nor off), and is located in the driver's side vent. It works by ionizing the air, which (in theory) is supposed to cause charged dust particles to stick to surfaces in the car (so that you're not breathing them). In reality, a good filter should be better than an ionizer, so it's probably mostly just there for marketing.

kc5dlo likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd agree with that.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the filter button works great if you're stuck behind a stinky diesel, if you think quickly enough to push it before the fumes enter the cabin.

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    And while driving through a construction site on the road.

bisco likes this.
  12. knite75

knite75 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Or behind any VW.

MJ2005, caymandiver75 and bisco like this.
  13. MJ2005

MJ2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    These days when I drive behind a VW GTI I actually have been looking down to make sure I'm in (regular) recirculated mode.