1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California Clean Air Vehicle Yellow Carpool Stickers for sale of eBay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius_fr, Feb 21, 2007.

1. razzledazzlebee

razzledazzlebee New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ummm... Your story doesn't match up. First you said:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skiesofblue1 @ Mar 2 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]399397[/snapback]</div>
    Then you said:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skiesofblue1 @ Mar 3 2007, 5:44 PM) [snapback]399397[/snapback]</div>
    How is it that you got the letter 4 days after the auction STARTED but then later say you ended the auction 6 days after the auction started, and that was before you heard from the DMV???

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(razzledazzlebee @ Mar 3 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]399807[/snapback]</div>
    He said the letter was dated 4 days after (meaning it was typed and/or postmarked then), not that he received it then. There's a 1-2 day lag at least for most mail if it was sent end of day 4, went out into the system day 5, and delivered towards end of day 6.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the guy, just observing the wording.

3. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

Hey, everyone should get off this guys back. At least he was offering free shipping on his 10 grand auction.

jm

4. skiesofblue1

skiesofblue1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Mar 4 2007, 01:00 AM) [snapback]399795[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I agree. Or maybe a collector, like the collectors buying other DMV issued authentic drivers licenses and license plates off eBay every day.

5. skiesofblue1

skiesofblue1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(razzledazzlebee @ Mar 4 2007, 01:28 AM) [snapback]399807[/snapback]</div>
    Here is the full chronology:
    Auction started=2/16/07 (7 day, scheduled to end 2/23/07)
    DMV letter dated=2/20/07
    Auction ended early=2/22/07
    Contacted by Leslie Griffy of Mercury Sun=2/22/07
    Called Leslie back, left message=2/22/07
    Called Leslie back=2/23/07
    DMV letter received=2/23/07
    Called Leslie back, left message=2/26/07
    I Called DMV and spoke with the manager=2/26/07
    I mailed back stickers=2/27/07

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skiesofblue1 @ Mar 4 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]399984[/snapback]</div>
    Well, they now know where to get a set . . . hint - hint! ;) :D

I'd throw in free shipping and pay for escrow service too!

7. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skiesofblue1 @ Mar 4 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]399984[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, let me say that I really respect you for stepping forward and being willing to talk about what you did and why. Not a lot of people would do that in this situation. I believe you that you believed that what you were doing was legitimate.

But, in fact, selling authentic drivers licenses and license plates is not allowed on eBay. Some of them surely slip through, but if eBay notices it, they'll take down the listing and potentially suspend or ban the seller.

Take a look at this page for details. Click the ``show'' link next to ``some examples'' and you'll see that it explicitly lists driver's licenses and license plates, among many other examples. They do allow collectible license plates that are at least three years old.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/govern...s-licenses.html

The thing to notice here is that while many of these items have potential legal uses, they are banned because sales of them are considered to be likely to be for illegitimate uses.

A lot of people get into trouble by thinking that they can figure out for themselves whether something questionable is legal. In this case, you clearly thought about the fact that it might be questionable because of the legal disclaimer in the ad. It would have been better judgment to consult a lawyer. I've read about a number of cases where people had reasoned it out on their own that something questionable should be legal and then ended up being prosecuted for what they did. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out in this case, but it might well have worked out differently.

8. skiesofblue1

skiesofblue1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sunnyvale Prius @ Mar 5 2007, 04:11 AM) [snapback]400206[/snapback]</div>
    Firstly, thank you.
    Secondly, I agree with you about the lawyer consultation concept, and the part about the risk of trying to reason out legal issues on your own. It is probably far less expensive to seek a legal opinion beforehand, than a legal defense after.