1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camry vs Prius as a family car

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Chtucker, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok. Well as long as your kids don't plan on playing the double bass, the Camry should be ok (My friend has fit a cello in there with the seats folded. The neck goes in the pass-through)

The Camry is also more comfortable for trips and teenagers (if you plan to keep the car for that long). Of course, you're willing to lose 10 mpg over the Prius over that many years. Given that there aren't ridiculous hills in Seattle, the power that the Prius provides should suffice.

I guess the question(s) now come(s) down to:

1. which feels nicer to drive
    2. Is a 10mpg difference big enough?
    3. Do you need a smaller car to navigate/park on the streets? (You only lose width to the Camry. The differences other dimensions are not significant)
    4. Are there features in either car that you prefer (e.g. blind spot monitoring vs. pre-collsion/dynamic radar cruise or solar roof)

For me, I got the Prius because it provided me with the flexibility of a hatchback, the space of a midsize but the nimbleness of a compact, the best fuel economy, the lowest emissions and a LOT of technology for the price.

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I find the Camry Hybrid gets 20 mpg less combined than the Prius. I have to work hard to get the Camry Hybrid to 38 mpg combined driving around Sacramento city & country roads. The Camry is nice & cushy but the Prius is so much easier to get 56 mpg in the same driving conditions that I am driving the Camry Hybrid in. 33-36 mpg is a more typical Camry Hybrid mileage driving careful.

Mike

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, but you're basing on that on a pre-MY12 HyCam. '11 HyCam is EPA rated at 33 mpg combined vs. 50 for '11 Prius.

'12 HyCam is rated at 41 mpg combined.

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool how they got the MY12 Camry Hybrid mpg figure up so high from the previous gen :) I hope to rent one some day. Last Tuesday when I arrived in San Francisco, Hertz could only offer me a MY10 Camry Hybrid :(
    Oh well... Still a nice car when I can't find a Prius to rent :)

Mike

5. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would definitely recommend driving the 2 cars.

My 2010 Prius replaced a 2002 Mercury Sable last year, Sable was a much larger car then either the Prius and or Camry. The hatchback wins out hands down. Forget about external size but cargo space. you might consider the extra space offered in the Prius V.
    I would think that the V would be a better alternative.

However, it is preference and would definitely test drive both cars (I love buying new cars) consider the prius as better car because of flexibility.

You can't carry something like this in a Camry....

http://priuschat.com/forums/members...-prius-utility-vehichle-picked-up-dresser.jpg

http://priuschat.com/forums/members...y-current-outings-picture6397-here-in-car.jpg

6. sambb

sambb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2012 camry hybrid is easy to get the same mpg or close to the V I can get 41 mpg easy

7. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been looking at the Prius liftback, Prius v, and Camry hybrid.

Engine: Camry hybrid (by a long, long shot. quiet, smooth, powerful, efficient)
    Chassis: Camry hybrid (again, quiet, better damping, more passenger space)
    Passenger area: Camry hybrid (best legroom in the back, more conventional layout)
    Cargo area: Prius v (by a long, long shot. way more space, seats lay down, slide, and recline.)
    Exterior: Prius (I like the spaceship looks)

Give the v and the Camry hybrid a test drive and you'll know, I think. The Prius, IMO, is a better car when your kids are older, but I think it is a little on the small side when the kids are young.

8. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The prius hatchback will get 25%+ better mileage then the V or Camry

Every cent counts

9. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We are considering both the Prius 4 and Camry XLE. (and the '12 Honda Civic)

I like the "spaceship look" and the increased mpg of the Prius. DW likes the more conventional cabin/dash of the Camry.

The driving position seems somewhat better in the Camry. we have driven the Prius overnight. Camry test to follow.

btw: we own a '97 Camry and have love it and its reliability.

10. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife and son and I went to Mount Everest base camp from Lhasa in a Toyota Land Cruiser. It had an altimeter and we reached 17,500 feet. The oxygen cylinders came in handy. By the way, you see Land Cruisers everywhere in Tibet but we never saw a Land Rover. Just saying.

11. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My previous car was a 2004 Camry. Last time I was in a new Camry, I noticed the cabin design hasn't changed that much. If you're looking at a hybrid car, then I'd stress going with the Prius. The hybrid Camry isn't as good of a family car since its trunk space is limited and you can't fold all of the backseat down. The Prius I think is well designed for optimal interior room. The physical dimensions of my Prius are smaller then the Camry, but leg and headroom for both front and rearseat passangers still seems pretty good. Then, I like the fact that I can fit a lot of luggage/supplies with the hatchback design.

As for a conventional Camry, then it becomes a matter of preference. The MPGs aren't as good obviously, but you get conventional driving controls. I remember when I first drove my Prius, I felt that the orientation and size of the steering wheel was something I had to get used to. The main detriment of the Prius is it doesn't have as much get up and go as a Camry. Even the 4 cylinder version. With differences between the 4 vs V6, it again is a matter of preference. Is the extra expense in fuel economy worth the extra pick up? Perhaps if you're doing a lot of highway driving for those family trips, then it is. When I've test driven a V6 vs 4, the only main difference I found with the V6 is having more pickup for entry on the highway.

12. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I test drove both the Camry Hybrid and the Prius V. Both are excellent cars and the choice is somewhat a matter of taste. I chose the Prius V and consider it the ideals family car with its combination of mileage, passenger room, and cargo space. You really need to drive them both to make your decision.

13. Kate Lee

Kate Lee New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Test drive both the car which driving is more smooth buy it . but both of the car are really prefect as a family car ..!! but test drive for your satisfaction ..!!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 2012 hycam has a much larger trunk than the gen I. i don't like what they did to the center console tho, for some reason, the 3rd cupholder/tray (square opening) got a lot smaller and is almost useless. toyota has some of the worst storage and keeps getting worse instead of better.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? I thought Toyota has one of the best storages. Ever seen a European car? You'd think they'll be space efficient but nope, the Japanese have them beat. My smart couldn't even fit the owner's manual in the glovebox and the door pockets (door nets) is the size of a smartphone. Then there are two pockets behind the seats that are tied to the tonneau cover (nylon sheet with two sewn pockets and velcro'd to the carpets to provide security for the trunk). That's all the storage I got.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, it is a Smart. :)
    Isn't it some German car company's philosophy that cars are for driving, tables for drinking, so no cup holders for you.

The Matrix had some little cubbies stashed around. The gen2 had the 'hidden' tray. Wouldn't either had less or more storage than an American brand I've seen. I thought it odd the old Yaris hatch had more dash storage than the sedan. Sedans too pretencious to have stuff?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i much prefer the gen II storage to the III. love or hate the flying bridge, other than bringing the radio/gps closer, it is totally useless and made the cupholders much more difficult to access. you're right tho tide, my old mercedes had no cupholders at all. i like the tray ford put on the fusion dashboard and we have had a number of chrysler products with great storage ideas.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. Europeans use cars as cars and not as multimedia, facebook-surfing, coffee-drinking office-mobiles. But still, a place to place a sunglass (not as a $30 dealer-installed accessory) or hold a pad and pencil would be nice.

The sedan is a different model in Japan.

The Yaris hatchback is the Vitz
    The Yaris sedan is the Belta.

We just happen to steal one model and call it a Yaris sedan. That's why it's also bigger (more rear legroom) than the hatchback.

1 person likes this.