1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can a locksmith program a FOB?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sdhanapal, Oct 9, 2008.

1. sdhanapal

sdhanapal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I bought a 07 Prius in an auction which didn't have a key. It has a smart system. If I have a virgin FOB, can a locksmith program it ? I spoke to a locksmith in Louisville and he claims he has the software to do it. Has anybody tried it?
    Is it possible to shift the car to neutral without a key?

Thanks,

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I VERY highly doubt it.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please note that the fob is not programmed. Rather, the Prius security system ECU is programmed to recognize the fob in question. This programming requires access to either the Toyota proprietary laptop or hand held tester, and it is unlikely that a locksmith would have invested in one or the other tool.

It is not possible to shift the car from P to any other gear until the car is either IG-ON or READY. Neither condition can be reached until the car recognizes the fob being used for access.

Since you bought the car at auction without a working fob, I suppose this means you did not drive the car prior to buying it. Good luck with your purchase...

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    there are third party solutions availalble to locksmiths for toyota vehicles. its one of the things toyota is pretty much forced to share. this would require access to toyota's computers (for the password). but the cost of towing around a prius to different lock smits might cost more then just taking it to the dealer.

ideas:

call AAA and have them unlock the doors that way the locksmith can't charge you $120 for opening the car

ask the lock smith if he does mobile service ???

is the service free if he cannot do it?

what is the brand name and model number of the device you will be using to set the keys?

ive seen pictures of non toyota non mastertech 3rd party key programmers that claim to work with these cars

its just like the tpms thing, toyota has to share this stuff.. wasn't there some locksmith law that was either passed or not
    that forced car makers to do this?

the major hurdle the locksmith will have to cross about making prius keys, is not the equipment, he is going to have to contact
    toyota and provide the seed numbers to them, in order to retrieve the password....

reccomendation : i hear you have to make sure you have the correct key for the same model year. stock up on keys. if you have to go to the dealer, bring 4, i am betting that if you have the keys, the charge for 4 keys will be the same as 1 key this way you get your moneys worth..

if the car isn't a smart key car, then you just need 1 key and you can add the keys later

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    in addition to the dealer scantool, you also need access to toyota's proprietary information system to get an access code if you have no working keys.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  7. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    that law is just caliifornia...

California last year passed a law requiring most car manufacturers to provide their key codes to licensed locksmiths. The law takes effect Jan. 1, 2008. It was sponsored by the American Automobile Association and opposed by many luxury car makers, who said it could compromise vehicle security. The law exempts a handful of manufacturers, including Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Jaguar, until 2013.

Officials at Toyota Motor Corp. said their key codes are available to most locksmiths. The officials said the high cost of replacement keys is largely a function of the technology contained in them. They noted the average cost of a replacement key for a Prius is about $300.

Replacing car keys is no longer quick or cheap - The Boston Globe

8. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. sdhanapal

sdhanapal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for all the help. I spoke one ebay store who is selling both smart keys & non FOB, they mentioned that local locksmiths in CA is equipped to reprogram a new key without my original key. I called a local locksmith in Louisville, ky and he says he can do it for $40 + $50 for making a trip to my house. I am going to try that if they don't charge for being unsucessful.

10. ballmall

ballmall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With proper software, Yes, a locksmith can program a FOB. :rockon:

11. Priusowns

Priusowns New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

hey i m having this same problem as you. If you happen to know anyone that can program please let me know thanks im located in hayward california

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please post again with the results.